Home for the Moral Reform of Destitute Colored Children
Held at: Friends Historical Library of Swarthmore College [Contact Us]500 College Avenue, Swarthmore, Pennsylvania 19081
This is a finding aid. It is a description of archival material held at the Friends Historical Library of Swarthmore College. Unless otherwise noted, the materials described below are physically available in their reading room, and not digitally available through the web.
Overview and metadata sections
The Home for the Moral Reform of Destitute Colored Children, an Orthodox Quaker charity which provided shelter and education for black children, was organized in 1854 in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. The Home was incorporated in 1860. By the end of the 19th century, the organization's primary function was providing financial support for other educational and shelter programs for black youths, including The Shelter (Association for the Care of Colored Orphans).
This bound volume contains the minutes of the Board of Managers of the Home for the Moral Reform of Destitute Colored Children, 1859-1907 (gap from 1860-1899).
Gift of Philadelphia Yearly Meeting, 1975
- Home for the Moral Reform of Destitute Colored Children (Philadelphia, Pa.)
- Association for the Care of Coloured Orphans (Cheyney, Pa.)
- African Americans -- Services for -- Pennsylvania
- African Americans -- Pennsylvania -- Philadelphia
- African American children -- Education -- Pennsylvania
- African American children -- Pennsylvania -- Philadelphia
- Children -- Institutional care -- Pennsylvania
- Education -- Pennsylvania
- Society of Friends -- Charities -- Records and correspondence
- Quakers -- Pennsylvania -- Education
- Quakers -- Societies, etc
- Poor -- Services for
- Schools -- Pennsylvania -- Philadelphia
- African Americans -- Pennsylvania -- Philadelphia -- Population
- Quakers -- Pennsylvania -- Philadelphia
- Charities -- Pennsylvania -- Philadelphia
- Social service -- Pennsylvania -- Philadelphia
- Nonprofit Organizations -- Pennsylvania -- Philadelphia
- Friends Historical Library of Swarthmore College
- Finding Aid Author
- FHL staff
- Finding Aid Date
- Encoding made possible by a grant by the Gladys Kriebel Delmas Foundation to the Philadelphia Consortium of Special Collections Libraries
- Access Restrictions
Access is through microfilm (FHL film Org-H).
- Use Restrictions
Some of the items in this collection may be protected by copyright. The user is solely responsible for making a final determination of copyright status. If copyright protection applies, permission must be obtained from the copyright holder or their heirs/assigns to reuse, publish, or reproduce relevant items beyond the bounds of Fair Use or other exemptions to the law. See http://rightsstatements.org/vocab/UND/1.0/.