- 0.42 linear ft. (1 box)
- Contains the records of the Friends Instruction Association including minutes and financial records, receipts from stores, and published bylaws. Friends Instruction Association was organized in 1873 by Philadelphia Quaker women as A Mothers Meeting. Originally part of the Penn Sewing School, the group incorporated in 1876 as Friends Instruction Association. Philadelphia Monthly Meeting provided a meeting space in the Race Street meeting house. Its purpose was to provide poor women regardless of race, religion or nationality with the life skills to improve their condition and to furnish them with clothing. The group was disbanded in December 1891 because of declining numbers and because its mission was being fulfilled by other charitable organizations.
Held at: Friends Historical Library of Swarthmore College [Contact Us]