Princeton Community League Visiting Nurse Committee records
Held at: University of Pennsylvania: Barbara Bates Center for the Study of The History of Nursing [Contact Us]Claire Fagin Hall, 418 Curie Boulevard, Floor 2U, Philadelphia, PA, 19104-4217
This is a finding aid. It is a description of archival material held at the University of Pennsylvania: Barbara Bates Center for the Study of The History of Nursing. Unless otherwise noted, the materials described below are physically available in their reading room, and not digitally available through the web.
Overview and metadata sections
The Princeton Community League traces its origin to 1898 when the Village Improvement Society was established. The sole nurse was Majorie Cox who worked for the Village Improvement Society until 1902, when the Society hired Jennie E. Yates. During Yates' tenure, the Society incorporated in order to secure property and start a small hospital. Ida W. Anderson replaced Yates as the Society's nurse in 1908 and Ella Johnston replaced Anderson in 1917. Through the Society's efforts, the Princeton Hospital opened in 1919 with the chairman of the Visiting Nurse Committee as an ex-officio member of the Hospital's Board. Johnston stayed on as nurse only two years before entering private duty work. Upon her departure, the Society appointed Marjorie Leedom as visiting nurse with her residence at the Princeton Hospital. Leedom remained until 1922 when the Society re-appointed Johnston as the visiting nurse, who remained in that position at least until 1938 when the documentation begins to thin out. The Village Improvement Society changed its name to the Princeton Community League in 1923 with the Visiting Nurse Committee continuing under its auspices. The Committee's peak service year occurred in 1935 with Johnston looking into 4358 cases, of which 971 were free.
The Visiting Nurse Committee of the Community League of Princeton records constitute .2 linear feet and include administrative, financial, and miscellaneous files. Although the collection dates as late as 1950, the bulk of the records range from the Committee's incorporation in 1924 to 1938. The collection documents the growth and expanded services of the Visiting Nurse Committee, the relations with Princeton Hospital, and other individuals and agencies concerned with public health in the early twentieth century.
Gift of Princeton Medical Center.
- University of Pennsylvania: Barbara Bates Center for the Study of The History of Nursing
- Finding Aid Author
- Finding aid prepared by Center staff, updated by Bethany Myers
- Access Restrictions
This collection is unrestricted.
- Use Restrictions
Copyright restrictions may apply. Please contact the Center with requests for copying and for authorization to publish, quote or reproduce the material.
This series consists of records that document the organization and growth of the agency. The annual reports, arranged chronologically, provide a very general overview for each year. The reports include the number and types of cases treated, and usually includes financial information. The 1936 annual report provides an historical sketch of the agency tracing back to the 1898 Village Improvement Society and statistics and charts documenting six years of service. The correspondence files cover the acquisition and maintenance of automobiles which were increasingly used by the visiting nurses, the relationship between the Committee and Princeton Hospital, and the National Organization for Public Health Nursing.
This series consists of an indenture establishing the Ellen Scott Memorial Fund, agreements with Metropolitan Life Insurance Company, and financial ledgers.
This is a small series of newsclippings and community publications, and some miscellaneous notes covering the latter years of this collection. The notes include such things as brief correspondence, hours of service, and reconditioning a 1946 Studebaker.