Philadelphia Yearly Meeting (Orthodox) Records: Foreign Missionary Association (1882-1950)
Held at: Quaker Meeting Records at Haverford College Quaker & Special Collections and Friends Historical Library of Swarthmore College [Contact Us]
This is a finding aid. It is a description of archival material held at the Quaker Meeting Records at Haverford College Quaker & Special Collections and Friends Historical Library of Swarthmore College. Unless otherwise noted, the materials described below are physically available in their reading room, and not digitally available through the web.
Overview and metadata sections
Originally named the "Women's Foreign Missionary Association", the group was organized in 1882. The constitution adopted in that year defined the Association's responsibility "to promote the knowledge of the Gospel among women and children in heathen lands, and to assist in the Christian education, as ability and qualification are given by the Lord." As the statement suggests, the Association was concerned primarily with spreading Christianity, but also with more general schooling in the case of uneducated women.
By the turn of the 20th century, the "Foreign Missionary Association of Friends" had extended its scope to include men and its duties to several countries as it worked cooperatively with the efforts of PYM's Mission Board and Japan Committee.
Records of the Foreign Missionary Association of the Philadelphia Yearly Meeting, 1921-1953, include its Minutes (1882-1921) as well as the records of its Executive Board (1883-1923), International Committee (1918-1924), Young Women's Auxiliary and other Miscellaneous reports and correspondence (1883-1923). Also included are records from the Committee's Branches at Downingtown, Germantown, Haverford, Moorestown, Philadelphia and West Chester Meetings.
- Philadelphia Yearly Meeting of the Religious Society of Friends. International Outreach Committee (1974-)
- Philadelphia Yearly Meeting of the Religious Society of Friends. Japan Committee
- Philadelphia Yearly Meeting of the Religious Society of Friends. Mission Board
- Women's Foreign Missionary Association of Friends of Philadelphia
- Germantown Monthly Meeting (Society of Friends : Philadelphia, Pa.)
- Haverford Monthly Meeting of Friends (1904-)
- Philadelphia Yearly Meeting of the Religious Society of Friends
- Philadelphia Yearly Meeting of Friends (Orthodox : 1827-1955)
- Moorestown Monthly Meeting of the Religious Society of Friends (1951- )
- Quaker Meeting Records at Haverford College Quaker & Special Collections and Friends Historical Library of Swarthmore College
- Finding Aid Author
- Philadelphia Yearly Meeting (Society of Friends: 1676- : Delaware County, Pa.).
- Access Restrictions
Collection is open for research. Access may be provided via digital or microfilm copy, per repository policy.
- Use Restrictions
Copyright has not been assigned to the Repositories. All requests for permission to publish or quote from manuscripts must be submitted to the individual Meeting or its successor. Permission for publication is given on behalf of the Repositories as the holder(s) of the physical items and is not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder, which must also be obtained by reader.