People's Coalition for Peace and Justice Records
Held at: Swarthmore College Peace Collection [Contact Us]500 College Avenue, Swarthmore 19081-1399
This is a finding aid. It is a description of archival material held at the Swarthmore College Peace Collection. Unless otherwise noted, the materials described below are physically available in their reading room, and not digitally available through the web.
Overview and metadata sections
The People's Coalition for Peace and Justice included various peace, anti-poverty, and labor groups. These groups worked together to confront the related issues of war in Southeast Asia and racism, sexism, poverty, and repression in the United States. The People's Coalition for Peace and Justice was founded in 1970 as National Coalition Against War, Racism, and Repression and organized several specific campaigns including People's Peace Treaty, Citizen's Action Pledge, and Nixon Eviction campaign; reports, speeches, and resolutions pertaining to the Assembly for Peace and Independence of the People of Indochina held at Versailles, France, February 1972.
This collection includes reference files containing newsletters and other publications from affiliated national and local organizations; and subject files on amnesty, impeachment, and various aspects of the Vietnam war. Leaders of People's Coalition for Peace and Justice represented include David Dellinger, William Douthard, Robert E. Levering, Bradford Lyttle, Sidney M. Peck, Pat Samuel, Barbara Webster, Cora Weiss, and Ronald J. Young.
Gift of Barbara Webster, 1970 [Acc. 77A-090].
Processed by Swarthmore College Peace Collection staff; this finding aid was created by Wendy E. Chmielewski, December 2009.
- Audiovisual material
- Dellinger, David T., 1915-2004
- Levering, Robert, 1944-
- Lyttle, Bradford
- Peck, Sidney M. (Sidney Morris), 1926-
- Samuel, Pat
- Webster, Barbara
- Weiss, Cora, 1934-
- Young, Ronald J., 1942-
- People's Coalition for Peace and Justice
- National Coalition Against War, Racism, and Repression
- Paris World Assembly for Peace and Independence of Indochinese People (1972) (Versailles, France)
- Peace -- Congresses -- History -- Sources
- Peace -- Societies, etc. -- History -- Sources
- Social justice -- Societies, etc. -- History -- Sources
- Peace Movements -- United States -- History -- Sources
- Vietnam War, 1961-1975 -- Protest movements -- Sources
- Vietnam War, 1961-1975 -- Peace -- Congresses -- Sources
- Political persecution -- United States -- History -- Sources
- Amnesty -- United States -- History -- Sources
- Draft resisters -- United States -- History -- Sources
- Swarthmore College Peace Collection
- Access Restrictions
- Copyright to the People's Coalition for Peace and Justice Records created by the organization has been transferred to the Swarthmore College Peace Collection. Copyright to all other materials is retained by the authors of items in these papers, or their descendants, as stipulated by United States copyright law.
- Use Restrictions