Held at: Friends Historical Library of Swarthmore College [Contact Us]500 College Avenue, Swarthmore, Pennsylvania 19081
This is a finding aid. It is a description of archival material held at the Friends Historical Library of Swarthmore College. Unless otherwise noted, the materials described below are physically available in their reading room, and not digitally available through the web.
Overview and metadata sections
Chartered in 1864, Swarthmore College hired its faculty and began instruction in 1869. By the time of publication of the first Catalogue, the College had hired three professors (including the President) and two resident teachers with the intention of filling additional vacancies before classes began. The Board of Managers also expected to hire auxiliary teachers and lecturers. By the time the 1870/71 Catalogue was published, there were 12 resident and 3 non-resident faculty members for the preparatory and collegiate departments. It is uncertain exactly when the faculty began to meet as a group, but it was probably from the beginning of the College's operations. Meetings were definitely routine by March, 1877, when the available minutes begin.
The Faculty has primary responsibility for development of the curriculum and related matters and for recommending to the Board of Managers students who have completed a given course of study and are eligible to receive degrees. The Specifics of Faculty authority have varied over the course of the College's history. The Faculty does much of its work through committees, many of which since the late twentieth century have included staff and student representatives.
This series consists of records and the official minutes of the meetings of the Swarthmore College Faculty.
Where available, access is through microfilm, with notations of microfilmed records included in finding aid.
Deposited by the Provost's Office, first ca. 1972, and at various times since.
The original deposit of Faculty ca. 1972 and processed as part of Swarthmore College Archives, Series 2, Official Records of the College. As part of the restructuring of the College Archives that began in 1997, these materials were reorganized and refiled as necessary and a new inventory and finding aid produced. A bibliographic record for the series and all necessary authority records were added to OCLC and the Tri-College online library system. This work was completed in July 2000.
- Friends Historical Library of Swarthmore College
- Finding Aid Author
- FHL Staff
- Finding Aid Date
- Access Restrictions
Collection is open for research with some access restrictions. Consult staff of repository
Because of the historical importance and fragility of this material, there is restricted access. Access to minutes of the Faculty and its Committees requires the permission of the President or the College Provost. Where available, access is through microfilm. Some materials are located in remote storage.
- Use Restrictions
Copyright has not been assigned to Friends Historical Library. All requests for permission to publish or quote from manuscripts must be submitted in writing to the Director. Permission for publication is given on behalf of Friends Historical Library as the owner of the physical items and is not intended to include or imply permission of the copyright holder, which must also be obtained by reader.