Bassett Family Papers
Held at: Friends Historical Library of Swarthmore College [Contact Us]500 College Avenue, Swarthmore, Pennsylvania 19081
This is a finding aid. It is a description of archival material held at the Friends Historical Library of Swarthmore College. Unless otherwise noted, the materials described below are physically available in their reading room, and not digitally available through the web.
Overview and metadata sections
This collection contains deeds, will, land and other property documents of the Bassett, Wright, and other families of Salem County, NJ, many of whom were Quakers.
The collection is divided into four series:
- Deeds, wills concerning Salem County, 1676-1846
- Maps, etc., concerning properties along Salem Creek, 1824-184
- Stock certificates from Salem Canal company
- Miscellaneous correspondence
Donor: Unknown, Prior to 1956
Gift to Friends Historical Library before 1956
In the summer of 1956, this bundle of papers was sorted and placed in Record Group 5.
- Deeds -- New Jersey -- Salem County
- Wills -- New Jersey -- Salem County
- Quakers -- New Jersey
- Land titles -- New Jersey
- Friends Historical Library of Swarthmore College
- Finding Aid Author
- FHL staff
- Finding Aid Date
- Encoding made possible by a grant by the Gladys Kriebel Delmas Foundation to the Philadelphia Consortium of Special Collections Libraries
- Access Restrictions
Collection is open for research.
- Use Restrictions
Friends Historical Library believes all of the items in this collection to be in the Public Domain in the United States, and is not aware of any restrictions on their use. However, the user is responsible for making a final determination of copyright status before reproducing. See http://rightsstatements.org/vocab/NoC-US/1.0/.
See 1812 deed listed at the end of series 1.
Maps and charts of properties and houses along Salem Creek and Mannington Creek, in Salem County, N.J., made between 1824 and 1844.
Shows canals and thoroughfares connecting sections of Mannington Creek and indicates many parcels of land owned by the Bassetts.
Desposition in which Nancy Padgett states when Ann Lawrence was 21 years old.
The letter is a copy of one sent by Nancy Stockes to her family, 2/7/1820.