Main content

Fellowship House Farm photograph album


Held at: University of Pennsylvania: Kislak Center for Special Collections, Rare Books and Manuscripts [Contact Us]3420 Walnut Street, Philadelphia, PA 19104-6206

This is a finding aid. It is a description of archival material held at the University of Pennsylvania: Kislak Center for Special Collections, Rare Books and Manuscripts. Unless otherwise noted, the materials described below are physically available in their reading room, and not digitally available through the web.

Overview and metadata sections

Fellowship House Farm was an outgrowth of Fellowship House, which Marjorie Penney Paschkis (1908-1983) opened in 1941. Fellowship House was a nonprofit education center dedicated to fostering interracial and interfaith relations in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. Fellowship House purchased a 120-acre farm located near Pottstown, Pennsylvania in 1951. The Farm was initially used for summer programs, including conferences on brotherhood, training for educators and youth leaders in combating prejudice and racial discrimination, and for those simply seeking volunteer opportunities to help around the farm. The Farm also served as a vacation retreat for Philadelphians who could not afford to take one otherwise. It became the organization's permanent headquarters in 1973 after divesting itself of its other buildings in Philadelphia. The Farm hosted thousands of people who sought to seek commonality across ethnic, religious and racial lines until closing in 2016.

Source: Hassler, Alfred. "Fellowship House in Philadelphia: "The Arrows Are Coming"." Fellowship, vol. 19, no. 6, 1953, pp. 10-17. ProQuest,

This photograph album contains 74 mounted black and white photographs of Fellowship House Farm. An unidentified woman who worked as an "intern cook" on the farm from June through September 1956, compiled the album. Many photographs of the farm are labeled and identify fellow workers, administrators, visitors, events, buildings, and environs. Identified subjects in the album include Judge Hastie, Elaine Brown, director of the Fellowship House choir; Marjorie Penney Paschkis, founder and director of the farm; and Dee Orenstein, business manager. Her travels away from the farm include photographs of the "old" and "new" Fellowship House buildings in Philadelphia and an affiliated meetinghouse in Media, Pennsylvania.

Researchers should handle the album with care as the pages are extremely brittle and some of the photographs have become detached.

Sold by McBride Rare Books, 2022.

University of Pennsylvania: Kislak Center for Special Collections, Rare Books and Manuscripts
Finding Aid Author
Kristine McGee
Finding Aid Date
2024 February 22
Access Restrictions

This collection is open for research use.

Use Restrictions

Copyright restrictions may exist. For most library holdings, the Trustees of the University of Pennsylvania do not hold copyright. It is the responsibility of the requester to seek permission from the holder of the copyright to reproduce material from the Kislak Center for Special Collections, Rare Books and Manuscripts.

Collection Inventory

Request to View Materials

Materials can be requested by first logging in to Aeon. Then, click on the ADD button next to any containers you wish to request. When complete, click the Request button.

Request item to view
Fellowship House Farm photograph album, 1956 June-September.
Box 1 Folder 1

Print, Suggest