Held at: University of Pennsylvania: Kislak Center for Special Collections, Rare Books and Manuscripts [Contact Us]3420 Walnut Street, Philadelphia, PA 19104-6206
This is a finding aid. It is a description of archival material held at the University of Pennsylvania: Kislak Center for Special Collections, Rare Books and Manuscripts. Unless otherwise noted, the materials described below are physically available in their reading room, and not digitally available through the web.
Overview and metadata sections
The Evans Dental Institute, today known as the University of Pennsylvania School of Dental Medicine, was founded in 1878 as the Pennsylvania College of Dental Surgery. After merging with the University of Pennsylvania in 1909, Thomas W. Evans, a prominent dentist to European nobility including Napoleon III, left the school a generous sum of money to construct what would be, at the time, the best equipped dental building in the United States. The Stomatological Society was a professional organization based within the school, active during the middle of the twentieth century, that served to further the knowledge and interests of dentists and dental students.
The collection consists of papers used by officers of the Stomatological Society to manage the organization. Financial documents, membership applications, secretary and treasurer's ledgers and a small amount of memorabilia comprise the bulk of the collection.
- University of Pennsylvania: Kislak Center for Special Collections, Rare Books and Manuscripts
- Finding Aid Author
- Justin A. Bortnick
- Finding Aid Date
- 2014 July 11
- Access Restrictions
This collection is open for research use.
- Use Restrictions
Copyright restrictions may exist. For most library holdings, the Trustees of the University of Pennsylvania do not hold copyright. It is the responsibility of the requester to seek permission from the holder of the copyright to reproduce material from the Kislak Center for Special Collections, Rare Books and Manuscripts.