Held at: University of Pennsylvania: Kislak Center for Special Collections, Rare Books and Manuscripts [Contact Us]3420 Walnut Street, Philadelphia, PA 19104-6206
This is a finding aid. It is a description of archival material held at the University of Pennsylvania: Kislak Center for Special Collections, Rare Books and Manuscripts. Unless otherwise noted, the materials described below are physically available in their reading room, and not digitally available through the web.
Overview and metadata sections
George D. Wetherill & Co., Wholesale Druggists, and Manufacturers of White and Red Lead, Litharge, &c. was owned and operated by George Deacon Wetherill and located at 56 N. Front Street, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. Wetherill was born in Burlington, New Jersey, son of Isaac Wetherill and Rebecca Deacon. He married Catharine Cowpland in 1816 and the couple had eleven children. During the 1880s the company was primarily a paint manufacturer.
This large, oblong leather-bound volume contains the receipts of the George D. Wetherill Company spanning the years from 1862 to 1867. The receipts record the payments made to vendors supporting all aspects of the Wetherill Company. The majority of the receipts are handwritten and signed by the vendors. The multitude of sellers of wares and services include chiefly companies in Philadelphia and some outside of the city. A few vendors appearing throughout the volume include, J. A. Dulles, Jr., Samuel C. Cook, Rosengarten & Sons, and the Pennsylvania Salt Manufacturing Company. Some receipts are printed, such as those from the city of Philadelphia for yearly licenses one to sell foreign and domestic merchandise and the other for medical pharmaceuticals. Receipts recorded purchases made or services provided. Examples include pharmaceutical supplies such as acids, bees wax, bi-carbonates, chamomile flowers, elm bark, magnesia, opium, and salt. The company also paid for carpentry, cooperage, horse shoeing, and painting. One receipt dated August 1865 records the purchase of a horse. Beginning in August 1864 revenue stamps are affixed to a majority of the receipts. The receipts in the volume are written parallel to the spine in the manner of a note pad. Four revenue stamps have been cut out of the volume. The last gathering is detached. There are three receipts pasted on the inside front cover and one pasted on the back fly leaf. A sheet of blotting paper is laid in at the end of the volume.
Sold at auction at Swann Galleries (New York, N.Y.), November 17, 2016, lot 265.
- University of Pennsylvania: Kislak Center for Special Collections, Rare Books and Manuscripts
- Finding Aid Author
- Donna Brandolisio
- Finding Aid Date
- August 2017
- Access Restrictions
Access to this item is subject to staff review.
- Use Restrictions
Copyright restrictions may exist. For most library holdings, the Trustees of the University of Pennsylvania do not hold copyright. It is the responsibility of the requester to seek permission from the holder of the copyright to reproduce material from the Kislak Center for Special Collections, Rare Books and Manuscripts.