Philadelphia Orthopaedic Hospital and Infirmary for Nervous Diseases School of Nursing records
Held at: University of Pennsylvania: Barbara Bates Center for the Study of The History of Nursing [Contact Us]Claire Fagin Hall, 418 Curie Boulevard, Floor 2U, Philadelphia, PA, 19104-4217
This is a finding aid. It is a description of archival material held at the University of Pennsylvania: Barbara Bates Center for the Study of The History of Nursing. Unless otherwise noted, the materials described below are physically available in their reading room, and not digitally available through the web.
Overview and metadata sections
The Philadelphia Orthopaedic Hospital and Infirmary for Nervous Diseases opened February 25, 1868, serving outpatients in the upper part of a private house on South 9th Street. In 1870, it began to serve patients with nervous system diseases. By 1902, it had a capacity for 118 patients that included 34 private rooms. This hospital merged with the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania in 1938. The training school for nurses was founded in 1888. Twenty-five to thirty students were admitted annually as probationers. About 10 were graduated each year.
Gift of the Alumni Association of the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania School of Nursing.
This Archive came from Nurses Alumni Association of the School of Nursing of the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania and consists of two cloth bound student record books. The covers are sewn on the inside covers and reinforced with rusted common pins that were removed. They contain pages pre-printed with the following categories: Name, Age, Address, Term, Time of Service, Ward assignments, Ward assignment dates, Report on ward assignment (grades or percentages are sometimes listed here), References, and Remarks. The first 14 student records list only the student’s name. A subsequent group of entries do not list a year. The first dated student record is dated October 8, 1891. A list of probationers for 1900 and 1901 is at the end of the book. Also listed are the Graduating Classes for 1900 - 1902. Included are listings of students from other hospital training schools (Affiliated Schools) who came to this hospital to fulfill their clinical obligations unavailable to them in their home hospitals.
Book II: Information contained in this book dates from 1901 – 1915. It has an alphabetical listing of students with page numbers in the front of the volume. Also listed are affiliated students. The end of the volume has lists of students from 1901 – 1915 and their status, not in chronological order.
Book II also contains information pertaining to affiliating students from other institutions during 1901 – 1915 with notes on their performance. Correspondence concerning these students is archived separately.
Links and additional information from: The Historical Collections of the College of Physicians of Philadelphia
The records of the Philadelphia Orthopaedic Hospital and Infirmary for Nervous Diseases were donated to by the Archives of the University of Pennsylvania on 25 July 1971 by Nurses Alumni Association of the School of Nursing of the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania.
The collection was processed and catalogued there in 1993. The records and original packages contained two separate numbering systems, one possibly referring to a numbering system imposed on the records while housed at the Archives of the University of Pennsylvania; the other may represent packages numbered for transfer to the College of Physicians. Both numbering systems have been recorded.
- University of Pennsylvania: Barbara Bates Center for the Study of The History of Nursing
- Finding Aid Author
- Finding aid prepared by Center staff, updated by Bethany Myers
- Access Restrictions
This collection is unrestricted.
- Use Restrictions
Copyright restrictions may apply. Please contact the Center with requests for copying and for authorization to publish, quote or reproduce the material.