Gynecean Hospital School of Nursing records
Held at: University of Pennsylvania: Barbara Bates Center for the Study of The History of Nursing [Contact Us]Claire Fagin Hall, 418 Curie Boulevard, Floor 2U, Philadelphia, PA, 19104-4217
This is a finding aid. It is a description of archival material held at the University of Pennsylvania: Barbara Bates Center for the Study of The History of Nursing. Unless otherwise noted, the materials described below are physically available in their reading room, and not digitally available through the web.
Overview and metadata sections
The Gynecean Hospital in Philadelphia was founded by Dr. Charles Bingham Penrose and a group of like-minded individuals for medical and surgical treatment of diseases of women, including poor women, seen as patients in the Philadelphia Dispensary. It was incorporated on January 10, 1888. The hospital began in 2 small rooms in a private house, and by 1908 had 32 ward beds and 12 private rooms. The hospital merged with the University of Pennsylvania in 1939. The hospital was originally financed by private subscriptions and state aid. The Training School for Nurses of the Gynecean Hospital was a two year program entitling a student who graduated to take the State Board Examination.
Gift of the Alumni Association of the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania School of Nursing.
The documents originated from the files of the Nurses Alumni Association of the School of Nursing of the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania. They were placed in an untitled ledger in alphabetical order under the first letter of the surname of the student. The ledger is in poor condition with nearly all the pages with notations detached from the binding. The pages from the book contained the a 4-page application form and details of the time spent in the Training School such as appearance, deportment, affiliation at other institutions, grades obtained from various subjects and status on departure from the School. Requests for information after graduation were tucked into the alphabetical page containing that student’s information. While most students were single, there are several instances of married women or widows applying for admission who are listed using “Mrs.” Those students who subsequently married are listed as [married name] after the entry. Not all students had pages of educational information or application forms. The pages of the ledger and all inserts were processed into acid-free folders in chronological order.
- University of Pennsylvania: Barbara Bates Center for the Study of The History of Nursing
- Finding Aid Author
- Finding aid prepared by Center staff, updated by Donna Ostroff and added to Archivists Toolkit by Bethany Myers
- Access Restrictions
This collection is unrestricted.
- Use Restrictions
Copyright restrictions may apply. Please contact the Center with requests for copying and for authorization to publish, quote or reproduce the material.
This collection comprises 1 series. The records in this series were originally located in a Ledger, and subsequently removed and placed in acid-free folders. A description of the Ledger itself follows:
Written inside front cover:
Mrs. H. F. Herrman, 40.00 - 4 dresses 14 aprons Cuffs.
Written inside back cover: 2/26/18 Eneiman (10) 88 McCollum (2) 75 Farley (3) 90 Hanlund (4) 94 Hand (5) 91 Applegate (6) 75 Fessler (*) 77 Egner (9) 83