Held at: Springfield Township Historical Society (Montgomery County, Pa.) [Contact Us]1432 Bethlehem Pike, Flourtown, PA , 19031
This is a finding aid. It is a description of archival material held at the Springfield Township Historical Society (Montgomery County, Pa.). Unless otherwise noted, the materials described below are physically available in their reading room, and not digitally available through the web.
Overview and metadata sections
The Whitemarsh Village Association was founded in 1947 to promote an interest in the public good of the community, encourage voter turn-out, obtain public services and benefits, and sponsor social and cultural activities. Membership was open to households in or adjacent to Whitemarsh Village of Springfield Township, Pennsylvania. Its standing committees were: Membership and Public Relations; Buildings and Grounds; Taxation; Public Services and Utilities; Social, Recreational, and Cultural; and Safety. Later, the group changed its name to the Whitemarsh Village Leawood Association, under which name it is still active as of 2012.
Whitemarsh Hall Association. Whitemarsh Hall Association Directory, 1958. Document found in collection.
This collection is comprised of records created by the Whitemarsh Village Leawood Association, as well as reports and publications of other groups relating to the association's work. Records of the association include: meeting minutes, 1959-1971; general correspondence, 1950-1982; and correspondence regarding real estate development issues. There are a large number of reports and publications in the collection, including: directories of Whitemarsh Village, 1958-1976; a storm water management study, 1981; Springfield Township zoning ordinances; Springfield Township annual reports, 1974-1996; and transcripts of Board of Commissioners meetings. The collection includes other miscellaneous documents, such as: newspaper clippings, 1946-1993; home rule charters, 1974; house construction flyers; and legal files relating to the case Kaiserman and Neff vs. Springfield Township, 1973-1976. (This was a zoning case: Kevy Kaiserman and George W. Neff purchased the former Stotesbury estate, Whitemarsh Hall, but were forbidden from building apartments on the land because of a township ordinance.)
Summary descriptive information on this collection was compiled in 2011-2012 as part of a pilot project conducted by the Historical Society of Pennsylvania to make better known and more accessible the largely hidden collections of small, primarily volunteer run repositories in the Philadelphia area. The Hidden Collections Initiative for Pennsylvania Small Archival Repositories (HCI-PSAR) was funded by a grant from The Andrew W. Mellon Foundation.
This is a preliminary finding aid. No physical processing, rehousing, reorganizing, or folder listing was accomplished during the HCI-PSAR project.
In some cases, more detailed inventories or finding aids may be available on-site at the repository where this collection is held; please contact Springfield Township Historical Society directly for more information.
- Springfield Township Historical Society (Montgomery County, Pa.)
- Finding Aid Author
- Finding aid prepared by Celia Caust-Ellenbogen and Michael Gubicza through the Historical Society of Pennsylvania's Hidden Collections Initiative for Pennsylvania Small Archival Repositories
- This preliminary finding aid was created as part of the Historical Society of Pennsylvania's Hidden Collections Initiative for Pennsylvania Small Archival Repositories. The HCI-PSAR project was made possible by a grant from The Andrew W. Mellon Foundation.
- Access Restrictions
Contact Springfield Township Historical Society for information about accessing this collection.