Held at: Solebury Township Historical Society [Contact Us]P.O. Box 525, Solebury, PA, 18963
This is a finding aid. It is a description of archival material held at the Solebury Township Historical Society. Unless otherwise noted, the materials described below are physically available in their reading room, and not digitally available through the web.
Overview and metadata sections
Founded by a group of 20 farmers in 1871, the aim of the Solebury Farmers Club (Bucks County, Pennsylvania) was "mutual improvement and instruction in the arts of agriculture and horticulture." Members met regularly in each others' homes for covered dish suppers, conversation, and to listen to speakers. Later meetings were held in local churches. As of 2013, the Club is still in existence, making it among the oldest agricultural organizations in Bucks County.
"Michener to Talk." The Daily Intelligencer, October 18, 1969. Clipping found in collection.
The bulk of this collection is minute books, 1871-2010 (incomplete). Other records include: two newspaper clippings scrapbooks, 1896-1918 and 1920-1946; two record books of dues paid, 1933-1938 and 1939-1940; roll book, 1928; about 10-20 Solebury Farmers Club Journal newsletters; several Solebury Farmers Club Constitutions and other loose documents; 100th anniversary guest book, 1971, and some accompanying materials; 90th anniversary programs/ephemera, newspaper clippings, photographs, and accompanying materials, 1961 (James A. Michener was the guest speaker at the event); and a photograph of club members, circa 1896. A volume of Solebury Dairyman's Association records, 1878-1903, is also stored with this collection.
A rough inventory is available on site.
Gifts of Solebury Farmers Club, ongoing.
Summary descriptive information on this collection was compiled in 2012-2014 as part of a project conducted by the Historical Society of Pennsylvania to make better known and more accessible the largely hidden collections of small, primarily volunteer run repositories in the Philadelphia area. The Hidden Collections Initiative for Pennsylvania Small Archival Repositories (HCI-PSAR) was funded by a grant from The Andrew W. Mellon Foundation.
This is a preliminary finding aid. No physical processing, rehousing, reorganizing, or folder listing was accomplished during the HCI-PSAR project.
In some cases, more detailed inventories or finding aids may be available on-site at the repository where this collection is held; please contact Solebury Township Historical Society directly for more information.
- Solebury Township Historical Society
- Finding Aid Author
- Finding aid prepared by Celia Caust-Ellenbogen and Faith Charlton through the Historical Society of Pennsylvania's Hidden Collections Initiative for Pennsylvania Small Archival Repositories
- This preliminary finding aid was created as part of the Historical Society of Pennsylvania's Hidden Collections Initiative for Pennsylvania Small Archival Repositories. The HCI-PSAR project was made possible by a grant from The Andrew W. Mellon Foundation.
- Access Restrictions
Contact Solebury Township Historical Society for information about accessing this collection.