Jean Shiber clippings collection on Sharon Hill
Held at: Sharon Hill Historical Society [Contact Us]PO Box 1191, Sharon Hill, PA, 19079
This is a finding aid. It is a description of archival material held at the Sharon Hill Historical Society. Unless otherwise noted, the materials described below are physically available in their reading room, and not digitally available through the web.
Overview and metadata sections
Sharon Hill is a community in Delaware County, Pennsylvania, just outside of Philadelphia. "A community less than a square mile in size, Sharon Hill came into its own in the 19th century. The surroundings were mostly undeveloped until 1872, when the Philadelphia, Wilmington, and Baltimore Railroad ran its rails through the area. A few homes and farms dotted the landscape, and there were two passable roads. One main thoroughfare, known earlier as the Queen's Highway and now as Chester Pike, ran through the entire length of the town. With the arrival of the railroad, a town plan was developed and Sharon Hill added a few stores and businesses to its landscape. Affluent Philadelphians built their mansions along Chester Pike, and churches and schools soon followed. In 1890, Sharon Hill was incorporated as a borough when it separated from Darby [Township]."
Quoted text from: Clarke, Kathleen and Jean Shiber for the Sharon Hill Historical Society. Images of America: Sharon Hill. Charleston, S.C.: Arcadia, 2009.
This collection consists mostly of newspaper clippings with some ephemera and flyers; recent volumes include Sharon Hill Mayor's newsletters and Borough Council meeting agendas. The contents relate to Sharon Hill history and events, including politics, local sports, disasters, and other happenings in the area. The clippings are in chronological order and all items are dated. They are organized into twelve binders, each of which contains an index.
Compiled by Jean Shiber beginning around 1991.
Summary descriptive information on this collection was compiled in 2012-2014 as part of a project conducted by the Historical Society of Pennsylvania to make better known and more accessible the largely hidden collections of small, primarily volunteer run repositories in the Philadelphia area. The Hidden Collections Initiative for Pennsylvania Small Archival Repositories (HCI-PSAR) was funded by a grant from The Andrew W. Mellon Foundation.
This is a preliminary finding aid. No physical processing, rehousing, reorganizing, or folder listing was accomplished during the HCI-PSAR project.
In some cases, more detailed inventories or finding aids may be available on-site at the repository where this collection is held; please contact Sharon Hill Historical Society directly for more information.
- Sharon Hill Historical Society
- Finding Aid Author
- Finding aid prepared by Celia Caust-Ellenbogen and Sarah Leu through the Historical Society of Pennsylvania's Hidden Collections Initiative for Pennsylvania Small Archival Repositories
- This preliminary finding aid was created as part of the Historical Society of Pennsylvania's Hidden Collections Initiative for Pennsylvania Small Archival Repositories. The HCI-PSAR project was made possible by a grant from The Andrew W. Mellon Foundation.
- Access Restrictions
Contact Sharon Hill Historical Society for information about accessing this collection.