Held at: Philadelphia History Museum [Contact Us]15 South 7th Street, Philadelphia, PA, 19106
This is a finding aid. It is a description of archival material held at the Philadelphia History Museum. Unless otherwise noted, the materials described below are physically available in their reading room, and not digitally available through the web.
Overview and metadata sections
"Born in West Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, painter, printmaker, and commercial artist Herbert Pullinger (1878-1961) studied at the Philadelphia Museum School of the Industrial Arts [now University of the Arts], the Pennsylvania Academy of the Fine Arts (where he studied under Thomas Anschutz), and Drexel University. His first exhibited etchings and paintings were principally urban in character, depicting major industrial activities in the Philadelphia area including naval activities and prominent downtown buildings and streetscapes. Pullinger taught perspective, etching, watercolor, and printmaking for nearly forty years [1923-1958] at the Philadelphia Museum School. His work has been widely exhibited and is held by numerous museums and libraries."
Pullinger was part of the art movement in the first few decades of twentieth century known as the Ashcan School.
Quoted text from: Brier Hill Gallery. "Herbert Pullinger (1878-1961)." Accessed November 19, 2014. http://brierhillgallery.com/herbert-pullinger/.
This collection consists of over 250 prints and drawings, circa 1910-1950, produced by Herbert Pullinger depicting buildings and streetscapes of Philadelphia and nearby areas. The prints include woodcuts, linocuts, and etchings. The drawings are done in pencil, ink wash, charcoal, and watercolor. An item level inventory is available on-site.
A large portion of the collection was purchased from Frances C. Pullinger, 1964 (accession 64.24), while other items were gifts of Martin P. Snyder, 1986 (accession 86.51), Mrs. William B. Linn (accession 51.1), and other sources.
Summary descriptive information on this collection was compiled in 2012-2014 as part of a project conducted by the Historical Society of Pennsylvania to make better known and more accessible the largely hidden collections of small, primarily volunteer run repositories in the Philadelphia area. The Hidden Collections Initiative for Pennsylvania Small Archival Repositories (HCI-PSAR) was funded by a grant from The Andrew W. Mellon Foundation.
This is a preliminary finding aid. No physical processing, rehousing, reorganizing, or folder listing was accomplished during the HCI-PSAR project.
In some cases, more detailed inventories or finding aids may be available on-site at the repository where this collection is held; please contact Philadelphia History Museum directly for more information.
- Philadelphia History Museum
- Finding Aid Author
- Finding aid prepared by Celia Caust-Ellenbogen and Sarah Leu through the Historical Society of Pennsylvania's Hidden Collections Initiative for Pennsylvania Small Archival Repositories
- This preliminary finding aid was created as part of the Historical Society of Pennsylvania's Hidden Collections Initiative for Pennsylvania Small Archival Repositories. The HCI-PSAR project was made possible by a grant from The Andrew W. Mellon Foundation.
- Access Restrictions
Contact Philadelphia History Museum for information about accessing this collection.