Buckley and Co., Inc. construction photographs
Held at: Philadelphia History Museum [Contact Us]15 South 7th Street, Philadelphia, PA, 19106
This is a finding aid. It is a description of archival material held at the Philadelphia History Museum. Unless otherwise noted, the materials described below are physically available in their reading room, and not digitally available through the web.
Overview and metadata sections
John Buckley and Company was established by John J. Buckley (1896-1974) in 1928 as construction contractors specializing in foundations. Buckley and Co., Inc. is still active as of 2014 as a major highway and heavy contractor business located at 1800 South 34th Street in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.
During the 1940s, Buckley and Co. was located at 1317 South Juniper Street. After the death of founder and president John J. Buckley in 1974, his son, Robert R. "Bob" Buckley (born 1935), took over the positions of President and Chairman of the Board. Under his leadership, Buckley and Co. transitioned from a foundation contractor to a heavy contractor. Buckley and Co. has worked on many projects in the Philadelphia area including the Market and Broad streets subways, various sections of Interstate 95 and Interstate 76, the Passyunk Avenue Bridge, and the Center City Commuter Connection (also known as the commuter tunnel). The company has also participated in projects in New York, New Jersey, Florida, California, and Puerto Rico.
The Moles. "Robert R. Buckley." 2007. Accessed October 3, 2014. http://themoles.info/aboutUs_awards_Buckley.php.
This collection consists primarily of photographs of construction sites, but also includes film negatives and small numbers of letters, bid forms, and other documents. The construction sites in the photographs are mostly identified. The majority of locations depicted are in Philadelphia, but some sites are in other areas including Norristown (Montgomery County, Pennsylvania) and Washington, D.C. The photographer is identified for some images. A detailed inventory of this collection is available on-site.
Gift of Buckley and Co., Inc. (accession 90.66)
Summary descriptive information on this collection was compiled in 2012-2014 as part of a project conducted by the Historical Society of Pennsylvania to make better known and more accessible the largely hidden collections of small, primarily volunteer run repositories in the Philadelphia area. The Hidden Collections Initiative for Pennsylvania Small Archival Repositories (HCI-PSAR) was funded by a grant from The Andrew W. Mellon Foundation.
This is a preliminary finding aid. No physical processing, rehousing, reorganizing, or folder listing was accomplished during the HCI-PSAR project.
In some cases, more detailed inventories or finding aids may be available on-site at the repository where this collection is held; please contact Philadelphia History Museum directly for more information.
- Construction and demolition debris
- Construction equipment
- Construction projects
- Elevated highways
- Subway tunnels
- Philadelphia History Museum
- Finding Aid Author
- Finding aid prepared by Celia Caust-Ellenbogen and Sarah Leu through the Historical Society of Pennsylvania's Hidden Collections Initiative for Pennsylvania Small Archival Repositories
- This preliminary finding aid was created as part of the Historical Society of Pennsylvania's Hidden Collections Initiative for Pennsylvania Small Archival Repositories. The HCI-PSAR project was made possible by a grant from The Andrew W. Mellon Foundation.
- Access Restrictions
Contact Philadelphia History Museum for information about accessing this collection.