Held at: Dabbs Woodfin Library and Archives at Newlin Grist Mill [Contact Us]219 S. Cheyney Road, Glenn Mills, PA, 19342
This is a finding aid. It is a description of archival material held at the Dabbs Woodfin Library and Archives at Newlin Grist Mill. Unless otherwise noted, the materials described below are physically available in their reading room, and not digitally available through the web.
Overview and metadata sections
"The Newlin Grist Mill was built in 1704 by Nathaniel Newlin, a Quaker settler who came to Pennsylvania in 1683 with his father Nicholas. Nicholas had purchased 500 acres of land in 1683 and left his son Nathaniel the land at his death in 1699. Nathaniel Newlin would acquire hundreds more acres of land during the course of his lifetime. The Newlin family owned the mill until the early 1800s. In 1817 the mill was sold to William Trimble, and [consequently] sold to the Sharpless family. In 1896 the mill was sold to John Hill whose son Samuel N. Hill operated it as Concord Flour Mills. The mill had many names during the two and a half centuries of its operation: the Lower Mill, Society Mill, Markham Mill, the Seventeen-O-Four Mill. Concord Flour Mills ceased its operations in 1943.
"In 1956 E. Mortimer Newlin, a descendant of Nicholas Newlin, purchased the mill and began renovating it. In 1960 he established the Nicholas Newlin Foundation, a nonprofit corporation which took title of the property. In 1984 the mill was recognized by the National Register of Historic Places."
Quoted text from: Downs, Kimberly and Anne Sokollow. Finding aid for "Newlin Grist Mill Collection, 000.200 - 000.224." Newlin Grist Mill. Edited October 21, 2013.
This collection consists mostly of financial records with some administrative records of Concord Flour Mills, also known as Concord Mills, from 1867 to 1941. It includes about 50 daybooks (1882-1938), approximately one dozen ledgers (1867-1936), check stubs (1894-1941), order books (1902-1941), vouchers (1879-1940), scratch books, grain books, and a grocery order book (1879). There are also some scattered Samuel N. Hill papers, mostly correspondence and invoices and receipts, circa 1875-1920.
Summary descriptive information on this collection was compiled in 2012-2014 as part of a project conducted by the Historical Society of Pennsylvania to make better known and more accessible the largely hidden collections of small, primarily volunteer run repositories in the Philadelphia area. The Hidden Collections Initiative for Pennsylvania Small Archival Repositories (HCI-PSAR) was funded by a grant from The Andrew W. Mellon Foundation.
This is a preliminary finding aid. No physical processing, rehousing, reorganizing, or folder listing was accomplished during the HCI-PSAR project.
In some cases, more detailed inventories or finding aids may be available on-site at the repository where this collection is held; please contact Dabbs Woodfin Library and Archives at Newlin Grist Mill directly for more information.
- Dabbs Woodfin Library and Archives at Newlin Grist Mill
- Finding Aid Author
- Finding aid prepared by Celia Caust-Ellenbogen and Faith Charlton through the Historical Society of Pennsylvania's Hidden Collections Initiative for Pennsylvania Small Archival Repositories
- This preliminary finding aid was created as part of the Historical Society of Pennsylvania's Hidden Collections Initiative for Pennsylvania Small Archival Repositories. The HCI-PSAR project was made possible by a grant from The Andrew W. Mellon Foundation.
- Access Restrictions
Contact Dabbs Woodfin Library and Archives at Newlin Grist Mill for information about accessing this collection.