Held at: Lower Merion Historical Society [Contact Us]506 Bryn Mawr Avenue, Box 2602, Bala Cynwyd, Pennsylvania, 19004
This is a finding aid. It is a description of archival material held at the Lower Merion Historical Society. Unless otherwise noted, the materials described below are physically available in their reading room, and not digitally available through the web.
Overview and metadata sections
The Autocar Company was founded as a manufacturer of commercial passenger vehicles circa 1897 in Pittsburgh and moved to Ardmore, Pennsylvania in 1900. During World War I the company focused production on trucks, ambulances, and personnel carriers to aid in the war effort. The company developed new engine technologies that could power larger vehicles, and even invented an electric car that was briefly popular with people in cities. During World War II Autocar supplied armored trucks and half trucks as well as other military vehicles. In 1953 Autocar was purchased by the White Motor Company and the plant was later moved to Exton, Pennsylvania. The company was purchased by Volvo in 1981, and continues to produce heavy trucks as of 2011.
"The Development" in The First 300: The Amazing and Rich History of Lower Merion, ed. by Dick Jones. Ardmore, Pa.: Lower Merion Historical Society, 2000. Accessed November 15, 2011. http://www.lowermerionhistory.org/texts/first300/part09.html.
This collection is composed of photographs and ephemera relating to the Autocar Company. It includes photographs of cars and trucks built by Autocar, Autocar brochures and advertisements, department memos and employee handbooks, employee photographs and obituaries, photographs of Autocar plants and the 1956 Ardmore plant fire, employee newsletters and miscellaneous ephemera, and newspaper articles. Some of the photographs and newspaper clippings are original, but many are copies.
Items collected by the Lower Merion Historical Society and its members.
- Lower Merion Historical Society
- Finding Aid Author
- Finding aid prepared by Celia Caust-Ellenbogen and Michael Gubicza through the Historical Society of Pennsylvania's Hidden Collections Initiative for Pennsylvania Small Archival Repositories
- This preliminary finding aid was created as part of the Historical Society of Pennsylvania's Hidden Collections Initiative for Pennsylvania Small Archival Repositories. The HCI-PSAR project was made possible by a grant from The Andrew W. Mellon Foundation.
- Access Restrictions
Contact Lower Merion Historical Society for information about accessing this collection.