Held at: Historical Society of Montgomery County [Contact Us]1654 Dekalb Street, Norristown, PA, 19401
This is a finding aid. It is a description of archival material held at the Historical Society of Montgomery County. Unless otherwise noted, the materials described below are physically available in their reading room, and not digitally available through the web.
Overview and metadata sections
Charles Reed Barker (1875-1961) was a very active genealogist and historian in the Philadelphia area.
The Charles R. Barker papers consist of diaries, scrapbooks, historic document abstracts/transcriptions, and a small amount of loose documents and ephemera.
Barker's diaries form the heart of this collection. Incredibly detailed, faithfully entered on a daily basis, and indexed by the diarist himself, Barker's diaries provide a comprehensive and intimate view of his daily activities over nearly three-quarters of a century, 1889-1961. Barker was engaged with Philadelphia culture, attending the Mummer's Parade, visiting the Free Library, and attending meetings of many clubs and societies. Barker also responds to world events, having lived through two World Wars.
In addition to his diaries, Barker kept scrapbooks with newspaper clippings on various topics that interested him. There are scrapbooks about Philadelphia, the Main Line and vicinity, and Lower Merion marriage announcements (1910-1928) and obituaries (1909-1926). Of special interest is a scrapbook on genealogy, genealogists, and genealogy research methods.
As part of his research, Barker transcribed abstracts of deeds, wills, orphan's court records, church records, Public Ledger articles, etc. He also recorded gravestone inscriptions from burial grounds in Delaware and Montgomery counties, Pennsylvania. Some of these were published.
In addition to the diaries, scrapbooks, and abstracts which make up the bulk the collection, there is a small amount of documents, ephemera, and clippings, etc. collected by Barker. These pertain to Philadelphia or Montgomery County townships, and subjects like the Civil War and the Centennial Exposition. There is also some correspondence and miscellaneous documents. There is one box of letters from Charles Barker to Ira Hoover, 1943-1961.
- Genealogical Society of Pennsylvania.
- Historical Society of Montgomery County.
- Historical Society of Pennsylvania.
- Historical Society of Montgomery County
- Finding Aid Author
- Finding aid prepared by Celia Caust-Ellenbogen and Michael Gubicza through the Historical Society of Pennsylvania's Hidden Collections Initiative for Pennsylvania Small Archival Repositories
- This preliminary finding aid was created as part of the Historical Society of Pennsylvania's Hidden Collections Initiative for Pennsylvania Small Archival Repositories. The HCI-PSAR project was made possible by a grant from The Andrew W. Mellon Foundation.
- Access Restrictions
Contact Historical Society of Montgomery County for information about accessing this collection.