Historical Society of Fort Washington manuscript volumes and deeds collection
Held at: Historical Society of Fort Washington [Contact Us]Clifton House, 473 Bethlehem Pike, Fort Washington, PA, 19034-2313
This is a finding aid. It is a description of archival material held at the Historical Society of Fort Washington. Unless otherwise noted, the materials described below are physically available in their reading room, and not digitally available through the web.
Overview and metadata sections
Fort Washington, Pennsylvania (now part of Upper Dublin Township and Whitemarsh Township) was settled in the 18th century by German immigrants. During the Revolutionary War this area became famous as the encampment for George Washington and the Continental Army after the Battle of Germantown and prior to the march to Valley Forge in 1777. The Battle of Whitemarsh was also fought in 1777.
This collection contains records of local organizations, people, businesses, and governments, as well as over two dozen deeds.
The local organizations' records include: Ambler Woman's Christian Temperance Union meeting minutes book (1891-1896); Fort Washington Heights Improvement Association minute book (1903-1909); Wissahickon Council minute book (1901-1914); and the Patriotic Sons of America, Camp No. 224 membership register (1881-1930). There are records from three different literary societies of the area: Shakespeare Club of Ambler minute book (2 volumes, 1899-1924); Whittier Literary Circle records (6 volumes, circa 1883); and Penn Square Literary Society, The Rustic Register (1857).
The records of local people include: Br. J. K. Blyler business letter copy-book (1859); Allen Fleck of Springhouse, Pennsylvania daybooks (2 volumes, 1833 and 1845-1851); George Harris, M.D. ledger (1831-1836); Algernon S. Jenkins daybook (1875-1890); Perot album of family crests and genealogy album (1928); and Mary Ann Shugard daybook (undated).
The records of the local businesses include: A.D. Worth account booklet (1909); the ledger of an unidentified Gwynedd-area supplier (1893); and Whitehall Turnpike Road Company tolls collected (4 volumes, 1864-1904), daybooks (3 volumes, 1855-1919, 1916-1920, 1955-1966), dividend book (1856-1921), and certificates of stock book (circa 1855 and circa 1920).
The local government records include: Ambler Borough tax assessments (1978); Gwynedd Township list of voters (1867); Plymouth Township tax assessments (1977); Springfield Township tax assessments (1978); Upper Dublin Township tax assessments (1977), supervisor's financial account book (1889-1937), and tax book (1903); and Whitemarsh Township tax assessments (1975 and 1978).
The deeds in this collection include 26 land deeds (1721-1887), and George R. Wallace land deeds and title searches from Upper Dublin (circa 1890).
The locations of individual items can be found on the Historical Society of Fort Washington's inventory list (available on-site).
Items collected by the Fort Washington Historical Society.
- Whitehall Turnpike Road Company.
- Whittier Literary Circle.
- Woman's Christian Temperance Union (Ambler, Pa.).
- Woman's Christian Temperance Union.
- Historical Society of Fort Washington
- Finding Aid Author
- Finding aid prepared by Celia Caust-Ellenbogen and Michael Gubicza through the Historical Society of Pennsylvania's Hidden Collections Initiative for Pennsylvania Small Archival Repositories
- This preliminary finding aid was created as part of the Historical Society of Pennsylvania's Hidden Collections Initiative for Pennsylvania Small Archival Repositories. The HCI-PSAR project was made possible by a grant from The Andrew W. Mellon Foundation.
- Access Restrictions
Contact Historical Society of Fort Washington for information about accessing this collection.