Held at: Historical Society of Frankford [Contact Us]1507 Orthodox St., Philadelphia, PA, 19124
This is a finding aid. It is a description of archival material held at the Historical Society of Frankford. Unless otherwise noted, the materials described below are physically available in their reading room, and not digitally available through the web.
Overview and metadata sections
Josephine B. Hunter was born in January of 1852 to John Wyatt and Jane B. Shallcross in the Frankford neighborhood of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. She married a Northeast Philadelphia merchant, Thomas Comly Hunter (1848-1931), in 1883. Both Josephine and her husband were heavily involved in their local community and highly influential in the development of Frankford in the late 19th and early 20th centuries. Josephine passed away in January 1926. In 1927, her husband, better known as T. Comly Hunter, donated the Josephine B. Hunter Residence at the Frankford Hospital School of Nursing in memory of his wife, which allowed the nursing students to reside and attend classes in the same building.
This collection consists of fourteen scrapbooks compiled by Josephine B. Hunter. The scrapbooks contain newspaper clippings, invitations, event programs, letters, and obituaries relating to Frankford and its residents. Some materials relate directly to her husband, T. Comly Hunter, including letters and clippings relating to his charitable donations. A few materials relate to places in the Philadelphia neighborhood of Germantown. Topics that are well represented in the scrapbooks, particularly through newspaper clippings, include the Methodist Episcopal Church, the Frankford Hospital School of Nursing, historic homes in Germantown, holidays, poems/songs, European royalty, and international events such as the sinking of the Titanic.
Summary descriptive information on this collection was compiled in 2014-2016 as part of a project conducted by the Historical Society of Pennsylvania to make better known and more accessible the largely hidden collections of small, primarily volunteer run repositories in the Philadelphia area. The Hidden Collections Initiative for Pennsylvania Small Archival Repositories (HCI-PSAR) was funded by a grant from The Andrew W. Mellon Foundation.
This is a preliminary finding aid. No physical processing, rehousing, reorganizing, or folder listing was accomplished during the HCI-PSAR project.
In some cases, more detailed inventories or finding aids may be available on-site at the repository where this collection is held; please contact Historical Society of Frankford directly for more information.
- Historical Society of Frankford
- Finding Aid Author
- Finding aid prepared by Sarah Leu and Anastasia Matijkiw through the Historical Society of Pennsylvania's Hidden Collections Initiative for Pennsylvania Small Archival Repositories
- This preliminary finding aid was created as part of the Historical Society of Pennsylvania's Hidden Collections Initiative for Pennsylvania Small Archival Repositories. The HCI-PSAR project was made possible by a grant from The Andrew W. Mellon Foundation.
- Access Restrictions
Contact Historical Society of Frankford for information about accessing this collection.