Held at: Grand Army of the Republic Civil War Museum and Library [Contact Us]4278 Griscom Street, Philadelphia, PA, 19124
This is a finding aid. It is a description of archival material held at the Grand Army of the Republic Civil War Museum and Library. Unless otherwise noted, the materials described below are physically available in their reading room, and not digitally available through the web.
Overview and metadata sections
Phil Kearney Post No. 1 of the Grand Army of the Republic was established in Newark, New Jersey in 1866. A Ladies Aid auxiliary, Kearney Circle No. 1, was organized in 1880 to help prepare for a fair. The ladies auxiliary continued until at least 1951.
The collection includes: four minute books, 1929-1951; membership proposition book, circa 1920s-1940s; correspondence with and histories of other circles, circa 1930s-1950s; and printed song booklets. Some records appear to come from the parent organization, the Grand Army of the Republic Department of New Jersey Ladies Auxiliary.
- Grand Army of the Republic. Dept. of New Jersey.
- Grand Army of the Republic.
- Sons of Union Veterans of the Civil War.
- Fraternal organizations
- United States--History--Civil War, 1861-1865
- Women--Societies and clubs
- Grand Army of the Republic Civil War Museum and Library
- Finding Aid Author
- Finding aid prepared by Celia Caust-Ellenbogen and Michael Gubicza through the Historical Society of Pennsylvania's Hidden Collections Initiative for Pennsylvania Small Archival Repositories
- This preliminary finding aid was created as part of the Historical Society of Pennsylvania's Hidden Collections Initiative for Pennsylvania Small Archival Repositories. The HCI-PSAR project was made possible by a grant from The Andrew W. Mellon Foundation.
- Access Restrictions
Contact Grand Army of the Republic Museum and Library for information about accessing this collection.