Held at: Fireman's Hall Museum [Contact Us]147 North 2nd Street, Philadelphia, PA , 19106
This is a finding aid. It is a description of archival material held at the Fireman's Hall Museum. Unless otherwise noted, the materials described below are physically available in their reading room, and not digitally available through the web.
Overview and metadata sections
"[Battalion Chief Joseph H. Gindele, Jr. (1929-1979)] joined the Philadelphia Fire Department in 1947 as a member of Engine 15. He was very active in the fire prevention arena and a recipient of the department's highest honor, the Heroism Award. Besides his official duties with the department, Chief Gindele was an expert historian on the Philadelphia Fire Department and is responsible for the founding of Fireman's Hall Museum and the German-American Firefighters Association. He served in the US Army during World War II and continued as a reservist after his discharge."
Quoted text from: Fireman's Hall Museum. "Fireman's Hall Museum Fire Safety Exposition and Muster." Accessed May 11, 2012. http://www.phillyfiremuster.org/custom.html?id=3107&print=1.
This collection consists of about 75 scrapbooks about the Philadelphia Fire Department and individual fire incidents. Some of the fire incidents are labeled with time and box number. Most scrapbooks are chronological, but there are several scrapbooks devoted entirely to particular incidents--e.g. 1991 Meridian Fire, Berg Brothers Explosion, etc. Most of the scrapbooks were created by Gindele, but after his death additional scrapbooks were created by Edwin S. Magee and volunteers of the Fireman's Hall Museum in the same manner.
In some of the scrapbooks, clippings are pasted to the backs of Philadelphia Fire Department memos, letterhead, and incident report transcriptions.
This collection also includes a box of miscellaneous postcards, firemen's cards, and other documents collected by Gindele (located at F-2-5).
Scrapbooks created by Joseph Gindele, Edwin S. Magee, and Fireman's Hall Museum volunteers.
Summary descriptive information on this collection was compiled in 2011-2012 as part of a pilot project conducted by the Historical Society of Pennsylvania to make better known and more accessible the largely hidden collections of small, primarily volunteer run repositories in the Philadelphia area. The Hidden Collections Initiative for Pennsylvania Small Archival Repositories (HCI-PSAR) was funded by a grant from The Andrew W. Mellon Foundation.
This is a preliminary finding aid. No physical processing, rehousing, reorganizing, or folder listing was accomplished during the HCI-PSAR project.
In some cases, more detailed inventories or finding aids may be available on-site at the repository where this collection is held; please contact Fireman's Hall Museum directly for more information.
- Fireman's Hall Museum
- Finding Aid Author
- Finding aid prepared by Celia Caust-Ellenbogen and Michael Gubicza through the Historical Society of Pennsylvania's Hidden Collections Initiative for Pennsylvania Small Archival Repositories
- This preliminary finding aid was created as part of the Historical Society of Pennsylvania's Hidden Collections Initiative for Pennsylvania Small Archival Repositories. The HCI-PSAR project was made possible by a grant from The Andrew W. Mellon Foundation.
- Access Restrictions
Contact Fireman's Hall Museum for information about accessing this collection.