Held at: Delaware County Historical Society [Contact Us]408 Avenue of the States, Chester, Pennsylvania, 19013
This is a finding aid. It is a description of archival material held at the Delaware County Historical Society. Unless otherwise noted, the materials described below are physically available in their reading room, and not digitally available through the web.
Overview and metadata sections
The Borough of Eddystone, Delaware County, Pennsylvania was incorporated on December 7, 1888. The town has a history of heavy industry. It served as the site of the largest Baldwin Locomotive Works plant. The company also owned and was affiliated with arms and ammunitions companies located in Eddystone that produced a significant portion of the rifles and artillery shells used by American soldiers during World War I. (In 1917, 133 people, mostly women and young girls, were killed in an explosion at the artillery shell plant, Eddystone Ammunition Corporation.)
The Eddystone School District was established shortly after the Borough of Eddystone, Delaware County, Pennsylvania was incorporated in 1888. In 1966, the state mandated that the district merge with the Ridley Park and Ridley Township School Districts, necessitating major changes.
The records of the school board include by-laws, board minutes, treasurer's reports, and legal documents, 1919-1965 (incomplete). There are also materials relating to an organization meeting about the district merger from February 2, 1966.
Summary descriptive information on this collection was compiled in 2012-2014 as part of a project conducted by the Historical Society of Pennsylvania to make better known and more accessible the largely hidden collections of small, primarily volunteer run repositories in the Philadelphia area. The Hidden Collections Initiative for Pennsylvania Small Archival Repositories (HCI-PSAR) was funded by a grant from The Andrew W. Mellon Foundation.
This is a preliminary finding aid. No physical processing, rehousing, reorganizing, or folder listing was accomplished during the HCI-PSAR project.
In some cases, more detailed inventories or finding aids may be available on-site at the repository where this collection is held; please contact Delaware County Historical Society directly for more information.
- Public schools
- School boards
- School districts
- School management and organization
- Suburban schools
- Delaware County Historical Society
- Finding Aid Author
- Finding aid prepared by Celia Caust-Ellenbogen and Faith Charlton through the Historical Society of Pennsylvania's Hidden Collections Initiative for Pennsylvania Small Archival Repositories
- This preliminary finding aid was created as part of the Historical Society of Pennsylvania's Hidden Collections Initiative for Pennsylvania Small Archival Repositories. The HCI-PSAR project was made possible by a grant from The Andrew W. Mellon Foundation.
- Access Restrictions
Contact Delaware County Historical Society for information about accessing this collection.