Township of Upper Providence records
Held at: Delaware County Historical Society [Contact Us]408 Avenue of the States, Chester, Pennsylvania, 19013
This is a finding aid. It is a description of archival material held at the Delaware County Historical Society. Unless otherwise noted, the materials described below are physically available in their reading room, and not digitally available through the web.
Overview and metadata sections
Upper Providence Township in Delaware County, Pennsylvania was settled in 1682 and incorporated as a township in 1687. Early settlers were Swedish and Welsh. A large community of the Religious Society of Friends (Quakers) was established there. In the 18th and 19th century, the area was popular for Philadelphians escaping the summer heat; Rose Tree Tavern (built in 1739) and Idlewild Hotel (established in 1871) were popular destinations.
Upper Providence Township. "History." Accessed June 25, 2013. http://www.upperprovidence.org/about.php.
This collection consists of tax records, insurance policies, and real estate/building information for Upper Providence Township in Delaware County, Pennsylvania. A rough inventory is provided below: Return of delinquent taxes assessed on seated lands in Upper Providence, 1966 Twp. of Upper Providence taxes and assessment information, 1966 Folder - Upper Providence township-Dorothy Lavender, 1966 Ledgers labeled "Per Capital Tax, Real Estate, Real Estate Transfer, 1961-2, 1963 Reports of building permits issued & local public construction, 1972-8 (Several) Folder - PA Workmen's Comp & Employer's Liability Policy & info., 1954 & '55 Folder - 1964 taxes Folder - 1963 real estate sheets, Helen V. Harbold, Tax Collector Real Estate Assessment sheets -loose Folder - Insurance Folder - 1965 Tax Receipts Folder - Delinquent Tax Sheets, Jan., 1961 to Dec. 1963, from Co. Treasurer Envelope - Expired Policies, 1950's Envelope - Correspondence in reference to taxes, change of address, etc., 1959
Summary descriptive information on this collection was compiled in 2012-2014 as part of a project conducted by the Historical Society of Pennsylvania to make better known and more accessible the largely hidden collections of small, primarily volunteer run repositories in the Philadelphia area. The Hidden Collections Initiative for Pennsylvania Small Archival Repositories (HCI-PSAR) was funded by a grant from The Andrew W. Mellon Foundation.
This is a preliminary finding aid. No physical processing, rehousing, reorganizing, or folder listing was accomplished during the HCI-PSAR project.
In some cases, more detailed inventories or finding aids may be available on-site at the repository where this collection is held; please contact Delaware County Historical Society directly for more information.
- Delaware County Historical Society
- Finding Aid Author
- Finding aid prepared by Celia Caust-Ellenbogen and Faith Charlton through the Historical Society of Pennsylvania's Hidden Collections Initiative for Pennsylvania Small Archival Repositories
- This preliminary finding aid was created as part of the Historical Society of Pennsylvania's Hidden Collections Initiative for Pennsylvania Small Archival Repositories. The HCI-PSAR project was made possible by a grant from The Andrew W. Mellon Foundation.
- Access Restrictions
Contact Delaware County Historical Society for information about accessing this collection.