Held at: Delaware County Historical Society [Contact Us]408 Avenue of the States, Chester, Pennsylvania, 19013
This is a finding aid. It is a description of archival material held at the Delaware County Historical Society. Unless otherwise noted, the materials described below are physically available in their reading room, and not digitally available through the web.
Overview and metadata sections
The Citizen's Council of Delaware County (Pa.) is "a county-wide citizens organization (financed in part by the United Fund) that is concerned with studying and making suggestions for solving the physical problems caused by the growth of the county. Its aim is to arouse citizens and government interest in the Council's programs for industrial development, highways, and transportation, and sanitation and conservation of water supply and natural resources.
"The CCDC was created in 1957 by the merger of the Citizens' Housing and Planning Association of Delaware County (CHPA) and the Citizens' Creek Valley Association of Delaware County (CCVA). The CHPA was organized in 1954 as a citizens group to study county-wide problems relevant to housing and planning. The CCVA was a private group that was organized in 1956 with more limited aims than the CHPA. The CCVA was not concerned with county-wide projects, but exclusively with those relevant to the creek valley areas of the county, mainly water pollution and conservation of parks and woodlands."
Quoted text from: Temple University Libraries Special Collections Research Center. Finding aid to "Citizen's Council of Delaware County (Pa.) Records, 1954-1969, URB 15." Accessed June 25, 2013. http://library.temple.edu/collections/scrc/citizens-council-dela.
This collection includes correspondence, minutes, pamphlets and brochures, ephemera, newspaper clippings, newsletters, and several maps from the Citizen's Council of Delaware County. Subjects include Tinicum Marsh, the construction of the Blue Route (Interstate 476), landfills, recycling, and open space / Rose Tree Park. A rough inventory of the collection is given below: Constitution, by-laws, board of directors, etc. Minutes, May 1969 to April 1977 Legal staff General file, ca. 1964 to ca. 1976 Tinicum Marsh (two files) Landfills Recycling Open space / Rose Tree Park News clippings Publications
Summary descriptive information on this collection was compiled in 2012-2014 as part of a project conducted by the Historical Society of Pennsylvania to make better known and more accessible the largely hidden collections of small, primarily volunteer run repositories in the Philadelphia area. The Hidden Collections Initiative for Pennsylvania Small Archival Repositories (HCI-PSAR) was funded by a grant from The Andrew W. Mellon Foundation.
This is a preliminary finding aid. No physical processing, rehousing, reorganizing, or folder listing was accomplished during the HCI-PSAR project.
In some cases, more detailed inventories or finding aids may be available on-site at the repository where this collection is held; please contact Delaware County Historical Society directly for more information.
- Delaware County Historical Society
- Finding Aid Author
- Finding aid prepared by Celia Caust-Ellenbogen and Faith Charlton through the Historical Society of Pennsylvania's Hidden Collections Initiative for Pennsylvania Small Archival Repositories
- This preliminary finding aid was created as part of the Historical Society of Pennsylvania's Hidden Collections Initiative for Pennsylvania Small Archival Repositories. The HCI-PSAR project was made possible by a grant from The Andrew W. Mellon Foundation.
- Access Restrictions
Contact Delaware County Historical Society for information about accessing this collection.