Held at: Science History Institute Archives [Contact Us]315 Chestnut Street, Philadelphia, PA 19106
This is a finding aid. It is a description of archival material held at the Science History Institute Archives. Unless otherwise noted, the materials described below are physically available in their reading room, and not digitally available through the web.
Overview and metadata sections
The Division of the History of Chemistry (HIST) is a currently active division of the American Chemical Society. Its origins date back to 1920, when Edgar Fahs Smith and Charles Albert Browne discussed the possibility of establishing an ACS section pertaining to the history of chemistry. In 1921, at an American Chemical Society Council meeting, Smith and Browne presided over an informal meeting, where several of their ACS colleagues expressed interest in forming such a section. The Section of History of Chemistry was formally established in 1922 with Charles Albert Browne serving as its first chairman. In 1927, the Section of History of Chemistry was granted divisional status and renamed the Division of the History of Chemistry.
The Division of the History Chemistry currently seeks to advance the knowledge and appreciation of the history of the chemical sciences among chemists, students, historians of science, and the general public. Over the course of its existence, the division has sponsored symposia and workshops. The division also sponsors several awards, including the HIST Award for Outstanding Achievement in the History of Chemistry and the Paul R. Jones Outstanding Paper Award. It also publishes the journal Bulletin for the History of Chemistry.
American Chemical Society Division of the History of Chemistry Website - http://acshist.scs.illinois.edu Browne, Charles Albert and Mary Elvira Weeks, A History of the American Chemical Society, Seventy-Five Eventful Years, Washington, D.C.: American Chemical Society, 1952.
Records of the American Chemical Society Division of the History of Chemistry, Science History Institute Archives, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.
For a more detailed inventory, please view this record in our library catalog: https://othmerlib.sciencehistory.org/record=b1092531
The Records of the American Chemical Society Division of the History of Chemistry contain the division's institutional records. The collection is arranged into the following five series:
The Records of the American Chemical Society Division of the History of Chemistry were donated to the Science History Institute (formerly the Chemical Heritage Foundation) by the American Chemical Society Division of the History of Chemistry in March 2006.
The Records of the American Chemical Society Division of the History of Chemistry were processed by John B. Sharkey.
- Science History Institute Archives
- Finding Aid Author
- Finding aid created and encoded into EAD by Kenton G. Jaehnig.
- Finding Aid Date
- Access Restrictions
There are no access restrictions on the materials for research purposes and the collection is open to the public.
- Use Restrictions
The Science History Institute holds copyright to the Records of the American Chemical Society Division of the History of Chemistry. The researcher assumes full responsibility for all copyright, property, and libel laws as they apply.