Philadelphia Council for Conscientious Objectors Collected Records
Held at: Swarthmore College Peace Collection [Contact Us]500 College Avenue, Swarthmore 19081-1399
This is a finding aid. It is a description of archival material held at the Swarthmore College Peace Collection. Unless otherwise noted, the materials described below are physically available in their reading room, and not digitally available through the web.
Overview and metadata sections
The Philadelphia Council for Conscientious Objectors was formed jointly by the American Friends Service Committee and the Women's International League for Peace and Freedom in May 1943 by Philadelphia area pacifists concerned with the needs of conscientious objectors and their families. It preceded the Central Committee for Conscientious Objectors but overlapped it in functions. Council members offered character testimonials at court hearings for C.O.s. The Council's activities were suspended in 1952.
The Swarthmore College Peace Collection is not the official repository for the records of this organization.
- Swarthmore College Peace Collection