Held at: Historical Medical Library of The College of Physicians of Philadelphia [Contact Us]19 S. 22nd Street, Philadelphia, PA 19103
This is a finding aid. It is a description of archival material held at the Historical Medical Library of The College of Physicians of Philadelphia. Unless otherwise noted, the materials described below are physically available in their reading room, and not digitally available through the web.
Overview and metadata sections
The College of Physicians of Philadelphia, founded in 1787, is one of the oldest professional medical organizations in the country. Throughout its 229-year history, the College has provided a place for medical professionals and the general public to learn about medicine as both a science and as an art. The College is home to the Mütter Museum and the Historical Medical Library. Its outreach programs include the History of Vaccines website and the Karabots Junior Fellows program. The public is invited to attend the many lectures, workshops, and conferences the College offers. Its programs reflect the College's reverence for the past, its commitment to the present, and its vision for the future of medicine and health.
The Office of Advancement of The College of Physicians of Philadelphia was formed in 2015 by the merging of two departments: the Communications Department and the Development Department, which were created in 1988 and 1987, respectively. The functions of the Office of Advancement include all aspects of fundraising; public relations for the entire College; and administration of the Fellowship and Friends of the Mütter, a membership program open to the public which supports the Mütter Museum.
In 2010, the Office of Operations was organized to oversee hospitality, front of house and receptionist, visitor services, hall and grounds, renovations, security, and the parking lot. Previously, at least as far back as 1991, the management of facilities and special events fell under the responsibilities of the Office of Institutional Advancement (as of 2015, merged with Office of Development and External Affairs and Office of Communications into the Office of Advancement).
Established in 1791, the Historical Medical Library of the College of Physicians was Philadelphia's central medical library for over 150 years, serving medical schools, hospitals, physicians and other health professionals. Today, it is an independent research library devoted to the history of medicine and serves hundreds of scholars, health professionals, students and popular writers each year.
The Mütter Museum was founded in 1856 when Dr. Thomas Dent Mütter bequeathed his personal medical museum to the College of Physicians of Philadelphia. From Thomas Mütter's collection, the museum grew as a noted repository for unique collections of medical specimens across the world.
This collection was re-processed in December 2017.
Related materials, such as newsletters and department-specific events material, created post-2012 can be found in the Records of the Office of Advancement and Office of Operations. Any other departmental newletters (such as Library or Museum) will be found in their respective record groups.
These records were housed in the college archives before being reprocessed in 2015. Fugitive Leaves was transferred from the Historical Services Division of the library at the college of archives collection under direction of Kevin Crawford.
- Historical Medical Library of The College of Physicians of Philadelphia