Asylum for the Relief of Persons Deprived of the Use of Their Reason collected records
Held at: Friends Historical Library of Swarthmore College [Contact Us]500 College Avenue, Swarthmore, Pennsylvania 19081
This is a finding aid. It is a description of archival material held at the Friends Historical Library of Swarthmore College. Unless otherwise noted, the materials described below are physically available in their reading room, and not digitally available through the web.
Overview and metadata sections
The Asylum for the Relief of Persons Deprived of the Use of Their Reason, the first private psychiatric hospital in the U.S., was founded in 1813. The Association purchased a 52-acre farm in Oxford Township, Pa., near Frankford (now part of Philadelphia) and opened its doors to patients on May 15, 1817. It was subsequently known as Friends Asylum and, currently as Friends Hospital.
Source of acquisition--New York Yearly Meeting. Method of acquisition--Gift of; Date of acquisition--1997.
- Asylum for the Relief of Persons Deprived of the Use of Their Reason
- Philadelphia Yearly Meeting of the Religious Society of Friends Library
- Friends Historical Library of Swarthmore College
- Access Restrictions
This collection is available for research use.