American Friends Service Committee Reference Files
Held at: Friends Historical Library of Swarthmore College [Contact Us]500 College Avenue, Swarthmore, Pennsylvania 19081
This is a finding aid. It is a description of archival material held at the Friends Historical Library of Swarthmore College. Unless otherwise noted, the materials described below are physically available in their reading room, and not digitally available through the web.
Overview and metadata sections
The American Friends Service Committee (AFSC) is a Quaker organization that was founded in 1917 to provide conscientious objectors with an opportunity to aid civilian victims during World War I. Today the AFSC includes people of various faiths and sponsors programs that focus on issues related to economic justice, peace-building and demilitarization, social justice, and youth in the United States, and in Africa, Asia, Latin America, and the Middle East. These reference files were collected and assembled by the American Friends Service Committee over many years to keep it informed of parallel service work by British and Irish Friends in the years 1916-1944.
Minutes, reports, some correspondence and related papers of Quaker service agencies.
The collection is organized into 8 series. The series are:
- Friends' War Victims' Relief Committee
- Friends' Council for International Service
- Friends Service Council
- Other Relief and Related Agencies
- Quaker International Centres
- Quaker International Relief
- International Organizations and Conferences of Friends
- Quaker Yearly Meetings in Europe
For current information on the location of materials, please consult the Library's online catalog.
Gift of American Friends Service Committee, 1981
- Society of Friends -- Germany
- Society of Friends -- France
- Society of Friends -- Austria
- Society of Friends -- Great Britain
- Society of Friends -- Switzerland
- Society of Friends -- China -- Shanghai
- Society of Friends -- Serbia
- World War, 1914-1918 -- War work -- Society of Friends
- World War, 1939-1945 -- War work -- Society of Friends
- Friends Historical Library of Swarthmore College
- Finding Aid Author
- FHL staff
- Finding Aid Date
- Encoding made possible by a grant by the Gladys Kriebel Delmas Foundation to the Philadelphia Consortium of Special Collections Libraries
- Access Restrictions
Collection is open for research.
- Use Restrictions
Permission to reuse, publish, or reproduce items in this collection beyond the bounds of Fair Use or other exemptions to copyright law must be obtained from the copyright holder or their heirs/assigns. See http://rightsstatements.org/vocab/InC-RUU/1.0/.
Also called Vienna Sub-Committee
Originally named Sub-Committee for Emergency Relief in Germany in 1923
Later renamed Vienna and South-East Europe Committee
Also called Prague Committee
Renamed Friends War Relief Service Committee in 1942