Held at: University of Pennsylvania: Kislak Center for Special Collections, Rare Books and Manuscripts [Contact Us]3420 Walnut Street, Philadelphia, PA 19104-6206
This is a finding aid. It is a description of archival material held at the University of Pennsylvania: Kislak Center for Special Collections, Rare Books and Manuscripts. Unless otherwise noted, the materials described below are physically available in their reading room, and not digitally available through the web.
Overview and metadata sections
Originally known as the Lincoln School of Art founded in 1863 in the city of Lincoln, Lincolnshire, England. Following the move of the school to Monks Road it became the Lincoln School of Science and Art in 1886. The new building housed the science school on the first floor and the art school on the second floor. One of Britain's leading art schools, it popularized the arts and crafts exhibitions in Lincolnshire. After 1957 the school experienced many incarnations and is now within the College of Arts at Lincoln University.
This large volume comprises the compilation of applications for the 1887 Lincolnshire Exhibition organized by and held at the Lincoln School of Science and Art. The pre-printed forms specified articles to submit for the exhibition into three categories, No. 1 Fine art section, No. 2 Model and mechanical design and scientific section, and No. 3 Historical section. Objects were supplied by contributors and collectors. The application required a description of the object, amount and type of space required, artist's name, and amount of insurance for each object. Many of the applications list several works and in some cases the applications were several pages. Each application is stamped or handwritten registered and indexed. Some applications have notations to be approved by Alfred G. Webster, who was head of the school. Works of art and objects submitted for the exhibition included not only painting and sculpture, but manuscripts, journals, jewelery, pottery, artifacts, and mechanical objects such as a coal shuttle exhaust ventilator. Among the many painters represented in the exhibition some who were included were Marion Alfred, Peter DeWint, Giorgione, Franck Hals, Filippo Lippi, Godfrey Kneller, Sir Joshua Reynolds, and Benjamin West. The contributors name is usually at the bottom right of the application. Some applications have correspondence attached. The exhibition what held from June to August 1887. A printed label on the front cover reads Lincolnshire Exhibition with "A to M inclusive" handwritten beneath. Covers are detached.
Sold at auction at Stamford Auction Rooms (Little Bytham, Nr Stamford, United Kingdom), 26 November 2016, lot 335.
- University of Pennsylvania: Kislak Center for Special Collections, Rare Books and Manuscripts
- Finding Aid Author
- Donna Brandolisio
- Finding Aid Date
- May 2017
- Access Restrictions
Access to this itme is subject to staff review.
- Use Restrictions
Copyright restrictions may exist. For most library holdings, the Trustees of the University of Pennsylvania do not hold copyright. It is the responsibility of the requester to seek permission from the holder of the copyright to reproduce material from the Kislak Center for Special Collections, Rare Books and Manuscripts.