Held at: University of Pennsylvania: University Archives and Records Center [Contact Us]3401 Market Street, Suite 210, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19104
This is a finding aid. It is a description of archival material held at the University of Pennsylvania: University Archives and Records Center. Unless otherwise noted, the materials described below are physically available in their reading room, and not digitally available through the web.
Overview and metadata sections
The Philadelphia Dental College was founded in 1863 as the second oldest school of dentistry in the United States. In 1878 the College opened the Garretson Hospital for Oral Surgery, which was the first hospital to specialize in oral and maxillofacial Surgery. The campus for the Philadelphia Dental College was located at Eighteenth and Buttonwood Streets. In 1877 a committee from the University of Pennsylvania (which decided to establish a dental department of its own) approached the faculty of the Philadelphia Dental College to propose a merger. The faculty officially declined the offer. The Philadelphia Dental College continued as an independent school until its merger with Temple University in 1907. The Philadelphia Dental College retained its name until 1913, when it was renamed the Temple University School of Dentistry. Today it is the Kornberg School of Dentistry.
The Philadelphia Dental College Collection consists primarily of an incomplete run of published announcement from the school between 1869 and 1906. In addition, included are a photograph of a graduate, and a commencement invitation.
The Philadelphia Dental College Collection is arranged chronologically by publication year.
The Philadelphia Dental College Collection was transferred to the University Archives from the School of Dental Medicine Library (Accession Number 2015:018, May 2015).
- University of Pennsylvania: University Archives and Records Center
- Finding Aid Author
- Joseph - James Ahern
- Finding Aid Date
- July 2015
- Access Restrictions
Access to collections is granted in accordance with the Protocols for the University Archives and Records Center.