Abrahamsohn Christmas and Easter Committee Records
Held at: University of Pennsylvania: University Archives and Records Center [Contact Us]3401 Market Street, Suite 210, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19104
This is a finding aid. It is a description of archival material held at the University of Pennsylvania: University Archives and Records Center. Unless otherwise noted, the materials described below are physically available in their reading room, and not digitally available through the web.
Overview and metadata sections
The Abrahamsohn Christmas and Easter Committee was chartered in 1914 by the wives of physicians at the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania to support the staff and patients during the holiday seasons. The organization was named in honor of Oscar Abrahamsohn, a German immigrant who supported himself by teaching German to the University of Pennsylvania medical students. Abrahamsohn became a volunteer at the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania, and by the mid-1880s had begun his charitable work of decorating the children's wards during Christmas and Easter. By 1906 the Board of Women Visitors had established the Abrahamsohn Christmas and Easter Committee as a sub-committee. The efforts of the Committee were supported through membership dues, annual appeals, and an annual charity ball; which went to providing holiday festivities to those at the Hospital at Christmas and Easter.
The Abrahamsohn Christmas and Easter Committee Records document the activities of the volunteer organization from its founding in 1914 through to 2005. Records include membership lists, meeting minutes, treasurer's reports, correspondence and photographs.
The Abrahamsohn Christmas and Easter Committee Records first accession of records are arranged by type of record, in chronological order. The second accession or records are organized by decade and arranged alphabetically.
The Abrahamsohn Christmas and Easter Committee Records was received in two donations. The first group of records was donated to the University Archives in June 2011 by Christine Hilke (Accession: 2011: 037); and the second group of records was donated in May 2012 by Doddie Barker (Accession: 2012: 024).
- University of Pennsylvania: University Archives and Records Center
- Finding Aid Author
- Joseph-James Ahern
- Finding Aid Date
- June 2011