Bucks County Conservancy historic resource surveys for Warwick Township
Held at: Warwick Township Historical Society [Contact Us]1641 Old York Road, PO Box 107, Hartsville, PA, 18974
This is a finding aid. It is a description of archival material held at the Warwick Township Historical Society. Unless otherwise noted, the materials described below are physically available in their reading room, and not digitally available through the web.
Overview and metadata sections
Warwick Township, located in Bucks County, Pennsylvania, was founded by petition on February 13, 1733, and named after a small town in central England. The first European settlers were mostly Scotch-Irish Presbyterians. The township's size was diminished in 1819 when Doylestown Township was established. A mainly rural area for most of its history, the population of Warwick Township almost tripled in the late 20th century. By the beginning of the 21st century, the township was mostly suburban, with some rural and farming areas remaining. Over 300 acres of open space have been preserved by the Township, with additional acreage preserved under the County Open Space program.
Warwick is home to several unique and historic places, including two sites that are listed on the National Register of Historic Places: the Eight Arch Bridge (1803), the last remaining eight-arch bridge in Pennsylvania, and the Moland House, a Revolutionary War Historic site.
"Based in Bucks County, PA, Heritage Conservancy [formerly the Bucks County Conservancy] is an accredited not-for-profit conservation organization that specializes in open space preservation, planning for sustainable communities, natural resource protection, property stewardship, historic preservation, adaptive reuse of existing structures, wildlife habitat restoration and biodiversity." (Heritage Conservancy)
Warwick Township. "About Us." Accessed December 20, 2012. http://www.warwick-bucks.org/about.htm
Quoted text from Heritage Conservancy. "Who We Are." Accessed December 21, 2012. http://www.heritageconservancy.org/who-we-are/
This collection consists of seven volumes of Bucks County Conservancy historic resource surveys of properties in Warwick Township. Apparently created in an attempt to establish the township as an historic district, fieldworkers used Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission (PHMC) survey forms to document historic properties in 1989. The collection is organized by site location. On the forms fieldworkers provided the location, date of construction, condition, description, photographs, and other pertinent information about each property.
Gift of Bucks County Conservancy.
Summary descriptive information on this collection was compiled in 2012-2014 as part of a project conducted by the Historical Society of Pennsylvania to make better known and more accessible the largely hidden collections of small, primarily volunteer run repositories in the Philadelphia area. The Hidden Collections Initiative for Pennsylvania Small Archival Repositories (HCI-PSAR) was funded by a grant from The Andrew W. Mellon Foundation.
This is a preliminary finding aid. No physical processing, rehousing, reorganizing, or folder listing was accomplished during the HCI-PSAR project.
In some cases, more detailed inventories or finding aids may be available on-site at the repository where this collection is held; please contact Warwick Township Historical Society directly for more information.
- Warwick Township Historical Society
- Finding Aid Author
- Finding aid prepared by Celia Caust-Ellenbogen and Faith Charlton through the Historical Society of Pennsylvania's Hidden Collections Initiative for Pennsylvania Small Archival Repositories
- This preliminary finding aid was created as part of the Historical Society of Pennsylvania's Hidden Collections Initiative for Pennsylvania Small Archival Repositories. The HCI-PSAR project was made possible by a grant from The Andrew W. Mellon Foundation.
- Access Restrictions
Contact Warwick Township Historical Society for information about accessing this collection.