Worcester Historical Society map collection
Held at: Worcester Historical Society [Contact Us]P.O. Box 112, Lansdale, PA, 19446
This is a finding aid. It is a description of archival material held at the Worcester Historical Society. Unless otherwise noted, the materials described below are physically available in their reading room, and not digitally available through the web.
Overview and metadata sections
"Worcester Township was formed in 1733 when twenty-two landowners petitioned the court to form a new township of about 10,000 acres. Before 1733, this area was called New Bristol. Worcester's name is said to come from the Saxon word "caester," meaning a station or camp. Worcester's first settlers were English, German, Welsh, and Dutch. German settlers included Mennonites, Schwenkfelders, and German Reformed - all groups that are still active here today...
"During the Revolutionary War, Washington's Army camped in Worcester before and after the Battle of Germantown. Peter Wentz Farmstead is the most well known place where Washington camped locally. After this excitement and danger, the township returned to its agricultural ways. By 1785, Worcester had three gristmills and one saw mill, most powered by the Zacharias Creek.
"There are three villages in the township: Center Point, the geographical center of Montgomery County; Fairview Village, with its commanding view toward Philadelphia on Fairview Hills; and Cedars, formerly Cedar Hills, named for the abundance of native cedars growing there.
"The first school was established in 1739 by Mennonites in their Meeting House located on Quarry Hall Road near Mill Road, site of the present Methacton Mennonite Church. This is also the site of the Methacton Oak, beneath which, tradition has it, many soldiers from the Continental Army lie buried. In 1880 the township was divided into seven school districts: Quarry Hole School in Fairview, which succeeded the Mennonite Church location; Water Street School (1830); Stump Hall School on Valley Forge and Stump Hall Roads; the Bethel Schoolhouse (still part of Bethel Hill United Methodist Church); Metz's School (1849) on Skippack Pike; Anders School on Shearer Road; and the Cassel School on Potshop Road.
"Farming has always been central to life in Worcester Township. By 1884, Worcester boasted three livestock dealers, three general stores, and a flour and feed dealer. Local farmers formed the Farmers Union in the 1890s. The organization grew to have a membership of 600 farmers in Montgomery and Bucks Counties. Worcester members built Farmers Union Hall in the village of Center Point, now the home of the Worcester Historical Society. Worcester Township farms were known for their wheat, dairy, eggs, poultry, and potatoes. In 1954, a Worcester farmer was fined by the U.S. government for growing more than his allotment of wheat, even though he needed all of the wheat he grew to feed his chickens, in order to run his poultry and egg farm! Today Worcester boasts the only certified organic farm in Montgomery County (Willow Creek Orchard) plus two Pennsylvania Century Farms - the former Heebner Farm, now Willow Creek Orchard, and Merrymead Farm - as well as many smaller farms."
Quoted material from: Worcester Historical Society. "History of Worcester Township." August 29, 2009. Accessed November 16, 2011. http://www.worcesterhistorical.org/History.htm
This collection consists of maps of Worcester and surrounding areas, with some maps of Pennsylvania or the United States. Many zoning maps are included. There is also a copy of New Historical Atlas of Montgomery County, Pennsylvania, Illustrated (J.D. Scott, 1877).
An inventory listing most of the maps in this collection is available on-site.
Materials collected at various times by the Worcester Historical Society.
- Worcester Historical Society
- Finding Aid Author
- Finding aid prepared by Celia Caust-Ellenbogen and Michael Gubicza through the Historical Society of Pennsylvania's Hidden Collections Initiative for Pennsylvania Small Archival Repositories
- This preliminary finding aid was created as part of the Historical Society of Pennsylvania's Hidden Collections Initiative for Pennsylvania Small Archival Repositories. The HCI-PSAR project was made possible by a grant from The Andrew W. Mellon Foundation.
- Access Restrictions
Contact Worcester Historical Society for information about accessing this collection.