Held at: Upper Moreland Historical Association [Contact Us]117 Park Avenue, Willow Grove, PA, 19090
This is a finding aid. It is a description of archival material held at the Upper Moreland Historical Association. Unless otherwise noted, the materials described below are physically available in their reading room, and not digitally available through the web.
Overview and metadata sections
The Upper Moreland Historical Association was established in 1996 by local residents. "The role of the Upper Moreland Historical Association in the community is the collection, preservation and stewardship of [Upper Moreland, Pennsylvania] history, folklore, and culture. [The Upper Moreland Historical Association's] mission includes the commitment to foster an appreciation for local history, to promote an interest in the area's past events, people and unique cultures, and to instill a sense of pride in the heritage of [its] community." (Upper Moreland Historical Association)
"William Penn presented the tract of land including present day Upper Moreland to Nicholas More in 1682. At the time, the area was referred to as the "Manor of Mooreland." Moreland Township was first used to describe the tract in the 18th century but the present day boundaries were not fixed until 1916 when a line was drawn through the valley of the Pennypack Creek and two municipalities were created: Upper and Lower Moreland Townships. In 1930, Upper Moreland was formally organized as a Township of the First Class." (Upper Moreland Township)
Upper Moreland Historical Association. "The Association." Accessed July 5, 2012. http://www.umha.com/pages/association.html.
Upper Moreland Township. "About Our Township." Accessed July 5, 2012. http://www.uppermoreland.org/information/about.aspx.
This collection is made up primarily of original and reproduction photographs collected by the Upper Moreland Historical Association, with a few audio and audiovisual recordings. The photographs are organized into series by general subject, and then are in alphabetical order. The series include: local businesses, culture, government, maps, military, natural history, people, places, public buildings, transportation, UMHA events, Willow Grove, and various other topics relating to the township and county. There is one binder of slides with an inventory, circa 1965-1975.
In addition, this collection includes promotional film reels produced by Upper Moreland Township, and audio reel recordings of meetings of the Upper Moreland Board of Commissioners, 1975-1978.
Photographs collected at various times by the Upper Moreland Historical Association.
Summary descriptive information on this collection was compiled in 2011-2012 as part of a pilot project conducted by the Historical Society of Pennsylvania to make better known and more accessible the largely hidden collections of small, primarily volunteer run repositories in the Philadelphia area. The Hidden Collections Initiative for Pennsylvania Small Archival Repositories (HCI-PSAR) was funded by a grant from The Andrew W. Mellon Foundation.
This is a preliminary finding aid. No physical processing, rehousing, reorganizing, or folder listing was accomplished during the HCI-PSAR project.
In some cases, more detailed inventories or finding aids may be available on-site at the repository where this collection is held; please contact Upper Moreland Historical Association directly for more information.
- Upper Moreland Historical Association
- Finding Aid Author
- Finding aid prepared by Celia Caust-Ellenbogen and Michael Gubicza through the Historical Society of Pennsylvania's Hidden Collections Initiative for Pennsylvania Small Archival Repositories
- This preliminary finding aid was created as part of the Historical Society of Pennsylvania's Hidden Collections Initiative for Pennsylvania Small Archival Repositories. The HCI-PSAR project was made possible by a grant from The Andrew W. Mellon Foundation.
- Access Restrictions
Contact Upper Moreland Historical Association for information about accessing this collection.