Providence United Methodist Church records
Held at: Historical Society of the Eastern Pennsylvania Conference of the United Methodist Church [Contact Us]235 N. Fourth Street, Philadelphia, PA, 19106
This is a finding aid. It is a description of archival material held at the Historical Society of the Eastern Pennsylvania Conference of the United Methodist Church. Unless otherwise noted, the materials described below are physically available in their reading room, and not digitally available through the web.
Overview and metadata sections
Methodism is a protestant Christian faith based in the teachings of John Wesley (1703-1791), who preached "practical divinity," emphasis on Christian living, and putting faith and love into action. The Methodist Episcopal Church was organized in 1784 in Baltimore, Maryland with Francis Asbury and Thomas Coke as its first bishops and held its first general conference in 1792. In May of 1939, the Methodist Episcopal Church; the Methodist Episcopal Church, South; and the Methodist Protestant Church united to form the Methodist Church (U.S.). In 1946 the Church of the United Brethren in Christ (New constitution) and the Evangelical Church united to form the Evangelical United Brethren Church. In 1968 the Methodist Church (U.S.) and the Evangelical United Brethren Church united, forming the United Methodist Church (U.S.).
Providence Methodist Episcopal Church, located at Front and Allegheny streets in the Fairhill neighborhood of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania was organized in 1891 and remained open until its discontinuance as Providence United Methodist Church in 1992.
This collection, dating from 1892 to 1991, consists largely of membership and vital records such as baptisms, marriages, and deaths. Also included are a small amount of minutes from the Board of Trustees and Charge Conferences, some property related documents, some historical materials and ephemera, and various other documents. A folder-level inventory for the collection is available.
Some church records at the Historical Society of the Eastern Pennsylvania Conference of the United Methodist Church, particularly membership and vital records, are available in digital form through Ancestry.com or on microfilm at the Historical Society of Pennsylvania and/or the Genealogical Society of Pennsylvania.
The Historical Society of the Eastern Pennsylvania Conference of the United Methodist Church is the repository for records of member churches when they close.
Summary descriptive information on this collection was compiled in 2012-2014 as part of a project conducted by the Historical Society of Pennsylvania to make better known and more accessible the largely hidden collections of small, primarily volunteer run repositories in the Philadelphia area. The Hidden Collections Initiative for Pennsylvania Small Archival Repositories (HCI-PSAR) was funded by a grant from The Andrew W. Mellon Foundation.
This is a preliminary finding aid. No physical processing, rehousing, reorganizing, or folder listing was accomplished during the HCI-PSAR project.
In some cases, more detailed inventories or finding aids may be available on-site at the repository where this collection is held; please contact Historical Society of the Eastern Pennsylvania Conference of the United Methodist Church directly for more information.
- Historical Society of the Eastern Pennsylvania Conference of the United Methodist Church
- Finding Aid Author
- Finding aid prepared by the Historical Society of Pennsylvania's Hidden Collections Initiative for Pennsylvania Small Archival Repositories using data provided by the Historical Society of the Eastern Pennsylvania Conference of the United Methodist Church
- This preliminary finding aid was created as part of the Historical Society of Pennsylvania's Hidden Collections Initiative for Pennsylvania Small Archival Repositories. The HCI-PSAR project was made possible by a grant from The Andrew W. Mellon Foundation.
- Access Restrictions
Contact Historical Society of the Eastern Pennsylvania Conference of the United Methodist Church for information about accessing this collection.
Dedication Souvenir and History 1917, Golden Anniversary 1891-1941, By-Laws 1908-1970, History 1891-199, Early History, List of Pastors 1893-1958, By-laws 1908, 1920, 1930, 1959, History, 1 picture of Church, 40 photos - various groups, sizes and dates (blk. and white and color), Ticket-70th Anniversary Dinner 1961, 1908 Postcard (M. E. Church Pottsville), Postcard (Hymn), Sunday School Bldg. Groundbreaking 1951, Welcome Home Banquet WWII 1946, Welcome Home Banquet WWI 1920, Christmas Greetings 19--?, Rug and Flooring Fund 1962, Golden Jubilee Invitation 1941, Memorial Gifts and Donations for Renovation 1957, Anniversary Banquet Program 1961, In Memoriam (C. E. Mac Donald) 1966, Invitation to WWII Banquet 1946, Program for 75th Anniversary Program 1966, Dedication of New Youth Temple 1952, Grand Opening Sunday School 1952, Invitation to Sunday School 1951, Sunday School Floor Plan and Room Descriptions, Opening Week Activities Request for Support, Correspondence Re: Girl Scouts 1961, Invitation to Pastor Retirement, Invitation to 70th Anniversary Services 1961, Letter Re: Opening of S, Financial Report 1956-1957, College Banquet Program 1930, List of Names and Addresses, Correspondence Re: Manna Head Start 1989, Certificate--Golden Cross Offering 1990, Certificate of Thanks 1989, Poem "A Careless Cake Sale", Postcard Re: Sunday School, 70th Anniversary Hymn, Correspondence Re: Mortgage Funds Request, Financial Report May 1949-Apr. 1950, Play script for 50th Anniversary 1941, Obituary (Rev. B. Warner Shay) 1986, Program 1923, Correspondence Re: List of Pastors to 1950, Certificate of Presentation of Electric Cross Donation (WWI), bulletins (1925, 1928, Memorial Day 1943, 1946 Return Servicemen Service, 1947, Dec. 1951, Corner Stone-Dec. 1951, 75th Anniversary 1965, 75th Anniversary 1966, July 4, 1976, Dedication of Choir Robes 1961, 1966, Dedication of Pipe Organ 1917, Golden Jubilee 1941, 1961, 1921), church newsletters (1908, 1915), directories (1912-1913, 1914, 1924, 1925, 1926, 1927, 1928, 1930, 1937, 1961), newspaper articles (1939- History and fire in church, 70th Anniversary, Dedication of Church 1951)