Held at: Historical Society of the Eastern Pennsylvania Conference of the United Methodist Church [Contact Us]235 N. Fourth Street, Philadelphia, PA, 19106
This is a finding aid. It is a description of archival material held at the Historical Society of the Eastern Pennsylvania Conference of the United Methodist Church. Unless otherwise noted, the materials described below are physically available in their reading room, and not digitally available through the web.
Overview and metadata sections
Methodism is a protestant Christian faith based in the teachings of John Wesley (1703-1791), who preached "practical divinity," emphasis on Christian living, and putting faith and love into action. The Methodist Episcopal Church was organized in 1784 in Baltimore, Maryland with Francis Asbury and Thomas Coke as its first bishops and held its first general conference in 1792. In May of 1939, the Methodist Episcopal Church; the Methodist Episcopal Church, South; and the Methodist Protestant Church united to form the Methodist Church (U.S.). In 1946 the Church of the United Brethren in Christ (New constitution) and the Evangelical Church united to form the Evangelical United Brethren Church. In 1968 the Methodist Church (U.S.) and the Evangelical United Brethren Church united, forming the United Methodist Church (U.S.).
This collection consists of small amounts of accumulated materials relating to Methodism, particularly, but not exclusively, in the Philadelphia area. Ephemera, such as pamphlets, brochures, newsletters, and newspaper clippings, as well as photocopies, make up a large percentage of the collection, although there are also photographs, correspondence, manuscripts, and other original documents. The collection is organized alphabetically by topic within six series: I. People, II. States and Countries, III. Methodist Bishops, IV. Methodist Ministers, V. St. George's United Methodist Church, and VI. Eastern Pennsylvania Conference of the United Methodist Church.
Series I. People includes photographs, pamphlets, biographical notes, correspondence, photocopies, a small amount of original manuscript papers, some books and published pamphlets, and a few clippings. It is primarily comprised of files on historically significant Methodists, such as Frances Asbury, Thomas Coke, Charles Albert Tindley, Henry Boehm, and John Wesley, but some less well-known Methodists are also represented.
Series II. States and Countries mostly includes pamphlets and brochures with some event programs, as well as a small amount of correspondence, some photographs, and a few books, relating to churches and other Methodist organizations such as schools and historical societies. The series is organized into folders by state, with some additional countries at the end.
Series III. Methodist Bishops, organized alphabetically, includes photographs, certificates, pamphlets written by the Bishops, newsletters and newspapers, and photocopies.
Series IV. Methodist Ministers, organized alphabetically, principally consists of newspaper clippings and many photographs.
Series V. St. George's United Methodist Church covers various topics relating to the church including bulletins, event programs, church history, information about museum display objects and the historic building/site. Some original records are mixed in, such as financial and building maintenance records.
Series VI. Eastern Pennsylvania Conference of the United Methodist Church covers various topics relating to the conference, including camps, colleges, programs and activities within the conference, and Methodism in Philadelphia. There is also information on related groups, such as the Evangelical United Brethren conference and specific varieties of Methodism such as German Methodism and Moravian Methodism. Some files relate to Methodism nationally, such as Methodist positions on slavery and tobacco. The series consists mostly of pamphlets, with some clippings and photographs and a small amount of original documents, including 18th century correspondence.
Materials collected from various sources over time.
Summary descriptive information on this collection was compiled in 2012-2014 as part of a project conducted by the Historical Society of Pennsylvania to make better known and more accessible the largely hidden collections of small, primarily volunteer run repositories in the Philadelphia area. The Hidden Collections Initiative for Pennsylvania Small Archival Repositories (HCI-PSAR) was funded by a grant from The Andrew W. Mellon Foundation.
This is a preliminary finding aid. No physical processing, rehousing, reorganizing, or folder listing was accomplished during the HCI-PSAR project.
In some cases, more detailed inventories or finding aids may be available on-site at the repository where this collection is held; please contact Historical Society of the Eastern Pennsylvania Conference of the United Methodist Church directly for more information.
- Historical Society of the Eastern Pennsylvania Conference of the United Methodist Church
- Finding Aid Author
- Finding aid prepared by Celia Caust-Ellenbogen and Sarah Leu through the Historical Society of Pennsylvania's Hidden Collections Initiative for Pennsylvania Small Archival Repositories
- This preliminary finding aid was created as part of the Historical Society of Pennsylvania's Hidden Collections Initiative for Pennsylvania Small Archival Repositories. The HCI-PSAR project was made possible by a grant from The Andrew W. Mellon Foundation.
- Access Restrictions
Contact Historical Society of the Eastern Pennsylvania Conference of the United Methodist Church for information about accessing this collection.