Held at: Solebury Township Historical Society [Contact Us]P.O. Box 525, Solebury, PA, 18963
This is a finding aid. It is a description of archival material held at the Solebury Township Historical Society. Unless otherwise noted, the materials described below are physically available in their reading room, and not digitally available through the web.
Overview and metadata sections
"At one time the area that is now Solebury Township was inhabited by a group of Native American Algonquian Indians, the Lenni-Lenape, or the "Original People." One of three tribes from this group that settled in the Delaware River valley, the Turtle Tribe, occupied the area which later became Solebury.
"English Quakers settled in the area around 1700, a time that Solebury was part of Buckingham Township. The township of Solebury was incorporated in about the year 1702, carved out of lands deeded to William Penn in the late 1600s. In 1703, records show that Solebury had 28 tracts of land, averaging 414 acres, owned by 24 landowners and farmers. (The Borough of New Hope was part of the township until 1837).
"The first settlers were drawn to the area by the location on the Delaware River and by its fertile soils. First modest log homes were built, followed by the traditional fieldstone houses which still dot [the] landscape today.
"Industries began to spring up around the township's abundant natural resources. Numerous mills were built along the streams that ground grain, sawed wood, pulverized wood for paper, crushed limestone, and even produced silk. Farming was a major industry, and beneath the fertile soil minerals such as limestone and sandstone were found and utilized.
"Villages were born; self-sustaining enclaves with a post office, store, church and blacksmith shop (and an occasional barber shop)...
"It wasn't long before the serene beauty of Solebury was discovered by the artist community. Following in the footsteps of such famous resident artists as Edward Redfield, William Lathrop, and Daniel Garber. Many in the art community still find inspiration [there].
As of 2013, Solebury Township "boasts three National Historic Landmarks, six National Historic Districts, and more than 500 homes built in the 18th and 19th centuries. More than 30% of its land is preserved."
Quoted text from: Solebury Township Historical Society. "History of Solebury Township." Accessed July 31, 2013. http://www.soleburyhistory.org/soleburytownship.html
This collection consists largely of subject files, with some original photographs, and to a lesser extent manuscripts and oral histories.
The subject files are organized into the following series: I. Villages, II. Places of Worship/Churches, III. People, and IV. Miscellaneous Local History. The subject files primarily consist of newspaper clippings, ephemera, printed materials, Ned Harrington (Hillside Press) publications, and pamphlets, with some original photographs. Files within the III. People series include a greater proportion of original papers such as photographs, correspondence, and receipts/invoices. There are also some binders on topics such as local artists and the Beaver War of 1985, and two binders of historic resource surveys for Lumberville and Solebury Village completed by the Solebury Township Historical Society (circa 1983-1984).
The original photographs include scattered portrait, family, and group photographs, many of which date from the turn of the 20th century. There is also a group of photographs of historic properties in Solebury Township, circa 1980-2000.
The miscellaneous original manuscripts include several dozen deeds (an alphabetized card catalog exists on site) and a couple scrapbooks. Of special interest are two minute books of the nativist fraternal organization, Order of United Americans, Cuttalossa Temple No. 15 (Solebury, Pa.), 1898-1900 and 1905-1915. Also included are about one dozen oral histories of local residents on CD; some are on audiocassette tapes.
Materials collected from various sources at various times by the Solebury Township Historical Society.
Summary descriptive information on this collection was compiled in 2012-2014 as part of a project conducted by the Historical Society of Pennsylvania to make better known and more accessible the largely hidden collections of small, primarily volunteer run repositories in the Philadelphia area. The Hidden Collections Initiative for Pennsylvania Small Archival Repositories (HCI-PSAR) was funded by a grant from The Andrew W. Mellon Foundation.
This is a preliminary finding aid. No physical processing, rehousing, reorganizing, or folder listing was accomplished during the HCI-PSAR project.
In some cases, more detailed inventories or finding aids may be available on-site at the repository where this collection is held; please contact Solebury Township Historical Society directly for more information.
- Solebury Township Historical Society
- Finding Aid Author
- Finding aid prepared by Celia Caust-Ellenbogen and Faith Charlton through the Historical Society of Pennsylvania's Hidden Collections Initiative for Pennsylvania Small Archival Repositories
- This preliminary finding aid was created as part of the Historical Society of Pennsylvania's Hidden Collections Initiative for Pennsylvania Small Archival Repositories. The HCI-PSAR project was made possible by a grant from The Andrew W. Mellon Foundation.
- Access Restrictions
Contact Solebury Township Historical Society for information about accessing this collection.