Woman's Club of Noble minutes and miscellaneous records
Held at: Old York Road Historical Society [Contact Us]
This is a finding aid. It is a description of archival material held at the Old York Road Historical Society. Unless otherwise noted, the materials described below are physically available in their reading room, and not digitally available through the web.
Overview and metadata sections
The Woman’s Club of Noble was founded in 1912 as the Woman’s Association of Noble to raise funds for the Memorial Hospital of Abington. It then became the Woman’s Civic Club of Noble for civic betterment and charitable work, making contributions to various organizations and organizing the effort to build a World War I memorial that was unveiled in 1920 on an island at Nobel Road facing York Road. The memorial was moved in 1931 to Reading Co. property. In 1930 the club reorganized as The Woman’s Club of Noble "to create esteem and friendly relations among its members and to promote philanthropic, moral and civic improvements."
The Woman's Club of Noble minutes and miscellaneous records, 1927-1957, consist of minutes of the group, secretary's notes, and a small amount of correspondence.
The minutes, 1932-1938, 1947-1957, record activities of the officers and committees, including: Corresponding Secretary notes of thanks, sympathy, and eventually letters concerning civic issues; Needlework Guild numbers of pieces, garments, and funds donated, often to the Red Cross; Welfare Committee donations made to individuals and groups; Memorial Committee maintenance and decoration; Ways and Means Committee fund raising lunches and sales; Red Cross Committee (to 1947) garments sewn, money donated; Hospital Auxiliary (beginning in 1953) on volunteer activities at Abington Hospital. The Club made donations to Abington Hospital, Valley Forge Hospital, Abington Library and to individuals recommended by the Health Center among others, and the appeals for and decisions on these contributions are considered. Other business mentioned is signage, street lights, landscaping, and other civic improvements. Speakers were at times a part of the meeting and their presentations (restoring antique chairs, Eyes and Their Care are two examples) were recorded in varying detail.
Presidents of the club during the period covered by the minutes were Mrs. Mainwaring, 1932-38, Mrs. Pickard, 1947, Mrs. Josephine Fetterolf, Mrs. Genth, 1950-51, Mrs. Cornell, 1942-53, Mrs. D’Angelo, 1954-55, Mrs. John Ritteman, 1956-57. Other names appearing frequently are Mrs. T. D. Just, Mrs. Thomas K. Ober, Jr., Mrs. Oehrle, Mrs. W. F. Yerkes, Mrs. M. H. Ench, Mrs. W. M. Bissinger, Mrs. Robert White, Miss Virginia Rowland, and Mrs. Frank Bisbee.
Other material includes a record book of hostesses, 1925-38, with member list and addresses, miscellaneous correspondence, By-Laws and historical notes.
Summary descriptive information on this collection was compiled in 2011-2012 as part of the Historical Society of Pennsylvania’s Hidden Collections Initiative for Pennsylvania Small Archival Repositories (HCI-PSAR), using data provided by the Old York Road Historical Society. The HCI-PSAR project was funded by a grant from The Andrew W. Mellon Foundation.
This is a preliminary finding aid. No physical processing, rehousing, reorganizing, or folder listing was done in the HCI-PSAR project.
- Old York Road Historical Society
- Finding Aid Author
- Finding aid prepared by staff of the Historical Society of Pennsylvania's Hidden Collections Initiative for Pennsylvania Small Archival Repositories using data provided by the Old York Road Historical Society.
- This preliminary finding aid was created by staff of the Historical Society of Pennsylvania’s Hidden Collections Initiative for Pennsylvania Small Archival Repositories (HCI-PSAR) using data provided by the Old York Road Historical Society. The HCI-PSAR project was made possible by a grant from the Andrew W. Mellon Foundation.
- Access Restrictions
Contact Old York Road Historical Society for information about accessing this collection.