Held at: Old York Road Historical Society [Contact Us]
This is a finding aid. It is a description of archival material held at the Old York Road Historical Society. Unless otherwise noted, the materials described below are physically available in their reading room, and not digitally available through the web.
Overview and metadata sections
The Old York Road Hills Civic Association was established in 1923 "to promote the mutual benefit, good fellowship of the residents of the district, and the furtherance of any project that relates to the welfare of this section in particular and the entire Borough of Jenkintown in general." The Association dissolved in 1933 and was briefly revived in 1935. The District was bounded by: Reading Company tracks, west side of Cloverly Ave. to its intersection with a line drawn diagonally to the intersection of Elm & Hillside Ave. Thence along a line running to the rear of properties on the south side of Hillside Ave. to its intersection with the west side of Walnut St. and including the property at 412 Walnut Street. Thence along the west side of Walnut Street to Rodman Ave., the south side of Rodman Ave to Florence Ave., the west side of Florence Ave. to the railroad tracks. The loop connecting Rodman and Runnymede Ave. at their western termini was also included in the district.
The Old York Road Hills Civic Association minutes and newsletters, 1926- 1935, consist of minutes of the organization and newsletters created by the Association.
The Minutes, June 1930-October 1933, 1935, record committee reports, including: Publicity Committee on the newsletter and articles in Times Chronicle; Municipal Committee attendance at Borough Council meetings, requests for improved pedestrian, snow removal, water meter rate hike, and police protection for school students and corners; Bowling Committee standings reports, Picnic, Entertainment, and Membership Committees on plays, dances, and picnics. Other matters considered were a drunk and disorderly man who was stopping children, an unemployment fund, and Civic Center improvement funds. In 1935 the Association met to discuss criticisms and questions regarding grade school conditions as a result of a fire with a resolution for a new grade school.
The Association newsletter "The Hill’s Tell Tale," edited by S. J. Clevenger, Jr., was published monthly and was supported in part by advertisements. This is an incomplete series with news of neighbor activities, birth and deaths, bowling news, announcements of parties, notes on the Association’s auxiliary and the Woman’s Club of Jenkintown.
Gift of Samuel J. Clevenger, Jr.
Summary descriptive information on this collection was compiled in 2011-2012 as part of the Historical Society of Pennsylvania’s Hidden Collections Initiative for Pennsylvania Small Archival Repositories (HCI-PSAR), using data provided by the Old York Road Historical Society. The HCI-PSAR project was funded by a grant from The Andrew W. Mellon Foundation.
This is a preliminary finding aid. No physical processing, rehousing, reorganizing, or folder listing was done in the HCI-PSAR project.
- Old York Road Historical Society
- Finding Aid Author
- Finding aid prepared by staff of the Historical Society of Pennsylvania's Hidden Collections Initiative for Pennsylvania Small Archival Repositories using data provided by the Old York Road Historical Society.
- This preliminary finding aid was created by staff of the Historical Society of Pennsylvania’s Hidden Collections Initiative for Pennsylvania Small Archival Repositories (HCI-PSAR) using data provided by the Old York Road Historical Society. The HCI-PSAR project was made possible by a grant from the Andrew W. Mellon Foundation.
- Access Restrictions
Contact Old York Road Historical Society for information about accessing this collection.