Held at: Montgomery Township Historical Society [Contact Us]P.O. Box 678, Montgomeryville, PA, 18936
This is a finding aid. It is a description of archival material held at the Montgomery Township Historical Society. Unless otherwise noted, the materials described below are physically available in their reading room, and not digitally available through the web.
Overview and metadata sections
J. Nate Levine was one of America's best known professional dog handlers, known as the "Father of the American Sheltie" (Coen). He was responsible for many of the early imports of the breed (Coen) and became the first president of the American Shetland Sheepdog Association when it was founded in 1929 (Ferrell).
J. H. Nathan Levine was born in England in 1900 and then moved to Philadelphia. He settled in North Wales (Montgomery County, Pennsylvania) where he operated Page's Hill Kennels, "The Greatest Name in Shelties," and continued to handle dogs professionally. He died in 1979.
J. Nate Levine married Philadelphian Florence C. Steinberg (1900-1991) in 1933. Her sister Grace Rose (St. John) married William Edward MacBride.
Coen, Tom. "Sheltie Conference 2000." Accessed August 21, 2012.
Ferrell, Pat. "A.S.S.A. Historical Timeline." January 2008. Accessed August 21, 2012. http://www.assa.org/TimelineoftheASSAHistory.htmhttp://www.assa.org/articles.html
This collection chiefly consists of records of J. Nate Levine's dog-handling career and kennel business, with a small amount of his wife Florence's personal correspondence and papers from Florence's sister (Grace Rose St. John MacBride). Papers relating to Levine's work with dogs, 1930s-1970s, include financial and tax records, dog pedigrees, photographs of dogs, kennel records, and correspondence with other kennels. Florence's personal correspondence dates from the 1970s. The papers from Grace Rose St. John MacBride are mostly financial, tax, insurance, and real estate records. Finally, the collection includes several books of unattributed check stubs, 1940s-1950s.
Records left in house when Florence Levine sold it.
Summary descriptive information on this collection was compiled in 2011-2012 as part of a pilot project conducted by the Historical Society of Pennsylvania to make better known and more accessible the largely hidden collections of small, primarily volunteer run repositories in the Philadelphia area. The Hidden Collections Initiative for Pennsylvania Small Archival Repositories (HCI-PSAR) was funded by a grant from The Andrew W. Mellon Foundation.
This is a preliminary finding aid. No physical processing, rehousing, reorganizing, or folder listing was accomplished during the HCI-PSAR project.
In some cases, more detailed inventories or finding aids may be available on-site at the repository where this collection is held; please contact Montgomery Township Historical Society directly for more information.
- Montgomery Township Historical Society
- Finding Aid Author
- Finding aid prepared by Celia Caust-Ellenbogen and Michael Gubicza through the Historical Society of Pennsylvania's Hidden Collections Initiative for Pennsylvania Small Archival Repositories
- This preliminary finding aid was created as part of the Historical Society of Pennsylvania's Hidden Collections Initiative for Pennsylvania Small Archival Repositories. The HCI-PSAR project was made possible by a grant from The Andrew W. Mellon Foundation.
- Access Restrictions
Contact Montgomery Township Historical Society for information about accessing this collection.