Hatboro Borough records
Held at: Millbrook Society [Contact Us]32 North York Road, P.O. Box 506, Hatboro, PA, 19040
This is a finding aid. It is a description of archival material held at the Millbrook Society. Unless otherwise noted, the materials described below are physically available in their reading room, and not digitally available through the web.
Overview and metadata sections
In 1715, the Crooked Billet Inn was built by John Dawson in what is now known as Hatboro Township. It was a farming village that boasted one of the first rural libraries in Pennsylvania, the Union Library Company. The town put great emphasis on education and built the Loller Academy in 1811. Originally a private school, it became the public school for the village in 1848. As of 2011, the building still stands and is currently used as Borough Administrative Offices and Montgomery County District Court.
Hatboro is also known for its role in the Revolutionary War. The Battle of Crooked Billett took place there in 1778 while Philadelphia was occupied by the British. "The militia, commanded by General John Lacey and assigned to cut off British supplies, was encamped here. Surprised by British troops, they were defeated and driven off with heavy losses."
Greater Hatboro Chamber of Commerce. "Hatboro History." Accessed October 24, 2011. http://www.hatboro-pa.com/hathist.htm.
This collection is primarily made up of the Borough of Hatboro government financial records, including cancelled checks and check stubs, bills and receipts, and bonds. There is also an area map, and several quarantine signs for chicken pox and other communicable diseases.
This collection was saved from the trash by Millbrook Society, circa 1983.
- Millbrook Society
- Finding Aid Author
- Finding aid prepared by Celia Caust-Ellenbogen and Michael Gubicza through the Historical Society of Pennsylvania's Hidden Collections Initiative for Pennsylvania Small Archival Repositories
- Access Restrictions
Contact Millbrook Society for information about accessing this collection.