Media Historic Archives Commission photograph collection
Held at: Media Historic Archives Commission [Contact Us]Media-Upper Providence Free Library, 1 East Front Street, Media, Pennsylvania, 19063
This is a finding aid. It is a description of archival material held at the Media Historic Archives Commission. Unless otherwise noted, the materials described below are physically available in their reading room, and not digitally available through the web.
Overview and metadata sections
The Borough of Media is the county seat of Delaware County, Pennsylvania, located about 12 miles outside of Philadelphia. The area was settled by Europeans beginning in the 1680s; Media became the county seat in 1850. A largely rural area prior to that point, the town grew rapidly in the second half of the 19th century and throughout the 20th century. The West Chester and Philadelphia Railroad was built through Media in 1854, and trolley service to 69th Street Terminal in Philadelphia opened in 1913.
Media Historic Archives Commission. "Media History." Accessed October 11, 2013. http://www.mediaborough.com/community/media-history
This collection consists of roughly 500 photographic prints of various subjects in the area of Media, Delaware County, Pennsylvania. Major topics include: General, Churches, Schools, Transportation, Media Water Works, Post Office, Media Fire Company, Media Library, Upper Providence Township, Middletown Township, Nether Providence Township, Rose Valley, and Miscellaneous Municipalities. Most of the photographs are original, with some reproductions. Some are photographic prints of Stephen H. Appleton's glass plate negatives (circa 1880-1900). All of the envelopes are labeled.
There are a few dozen oversize photographs on display throughout the Archives Room. Several are class photos from Media High School.
Materials collected by Media Historic Archives Commission from various sources over time.
Summary descriptive information on this collection was compiled in 2012-2014 as part of a project conducted by the Historical Society of Pennsylvania to make better known and more accessible the largely hidden collections of small, primarily volunteer run repositories in the Philadelphia area. The Hidden Collections Initiative for Pennsylvania Small Archival Repositories (HCI-PSAR) was funded by a grant from The Andrew W. Mellon Foundation.
This is a preliminary finding aid. No physical processing, rehousing, reorganizing, or folder listing was accomplished during the HCI-PSAR project.
In some cases, more detailed inventories or finding aids may be available on-site at the repository where this collection is held; please contact Media Historic Archives Commission directly for more information.
- Media Historic Archives Commission
- Finding Aid Author
- Finding aid prepared by Celia Caust-Ellenbogen and Faith Charlton through the Historical Society of Pennsylvania's Hidden Collections Initiative for Pennsylvania Small Archival Repositories
- This preliminary finding aid was created as part of the Historical Society of Pennsylvania's Hidden Collections Initiative for Pennsylvania Small Archival Repositories. The HCI-PSAR project was made possible by a grant from The Andrew W. Mellon Foundation.
- Access Restrictions
Contact Media Historic Archives Commission for information about accessing this collection.