"The Reporter" photograph negatives
Held at: Lansdale Historical Society [Contact Us]137 Jenkins Ave., Lansdale, Pa., 19446
This is a finding aid. It is a description of archival material held at the Lansdale Historical Society. Unless otherwise noted, the materials described below are physically available in their reading room, and not digitally available through the web.
Overview and metadata sections
The Reporter is a local newspaper based out of Lansdale, Montgomery County, Pennsylvania since 1870. Founded by Frederick Wagner, the first issue of The Lansdale Reporter was published on October 27, 1870. In its early years most of the short newspaper was pre-printed in Philadelphia, with only a page insert that included local news and advertisements. By the 1910s, it had become a legitimate information source.
In 1923 the newspaper's owner, Walter Sanborn, sold the paper to a competitor. It became The Republican-Review-Reporter, shortened to The Reporter-Review. Sanborn bought the newspaper back in 1927 and changed its name to The North Penn Reporter. Later, the name was shortened to simply The Reporter.
The Reporter was sold to Gannett Corporation in 1980, and then sold again to the Journal Register Company in 2001. As of 2012, The Reporter is still in print, serving North Penn, Indian Valley, and neighboring communities in northwest Montgomery County, Pennsylvania.
This collection consists of images captured by The Reporter staff photographers for use in newspaper stories. It contains film negatives arranged chronologically and color slide negatives arranged alphabetically by subject. The chronological film negatives are labeled with name, subject, date, and event.
There are also some boxes of slides depicting The Reporter staff members or newspaper activities, circa 1997.
Gift of The Reporter.
Summary descriptive information on this collection was compiled in 2012-2014 as part of a project conducted by the Historical Society of Pennsylvania to make better known and more accessible the largely hidden collections of small, primarily volunteer run repositories in the Philadelphia area. The Hidden Collections Initiative for Pennsylvania Small Archival Repositories (HCI-PSAR) was funded by a grant from The Andrew W. Mellon Foundation.
This is a preliminary finding aid. No physical processing, rehousing, reorganizing, or folder listing was accomplished during the HCI-PSAR project.
In some cases, more detailed inventories or finding aids may be available on-site at the repository where this collection is held; please contact Lansdale Historical Society directly for more information.
- Lansdale Historical Society
- Finding Aid Author
- Finding aid prepared by Celia Caust-Ellenbogen and Faith Charlton through the Historical Society of Pennsylvania's Hidden Collections Initiative for Pennsylvania Small Archival Repositories
- This preliminary finding aid was created as part of the Historical Society of Pennsylvania's Hidden Collections Initiative for Pennsylvania Small Archival Repositories. The HCI-PSAR project was made possible by a grant from The Andrew W. Mellon Foundation.
- Access Restrictions
Contact Lansdale Historical Society for information about accessing this collection.