Held at: Moore Archives at Historic Yellow Springs [Contact Us]P.O. Box 62, Chester Springs, PA, 19425
This is a finding aid. It is a description of archival material held at the Moore Archives at Historic Yellow Springs. Unless otherwise noted, the materials described below are physically available in their reading room, and not digitally available through the web.
Overview and metadata sections
"The mission of Historic Yellow Springs [founded in 1974] is to share, preserve, and celebrate the unique living village of Yellow Springs [in Chester County, Pennsylvania]. Focusing on history, arts, education, and the environment, Historic Yellow Springs enriches the lives of all who come here. The history of Yellow Springs village spans nearly 300 years. Archaeological evidence suggests that Native Americans first used the iron rich "yellow" spring water thousands of years ago. In the 18th century, Yellow Springs was a fashionable spa village that attracted visitors who sought healing waters and social interaction. During the American Revolution, George Washington commissioned a hospital to be built in the village, the first military hospital in North America. Washington himself visited on numerous occasions. Following the war, the village returned to a spa town during the early 19th century. From 1868 to 1912, Yellow Springs was home to the Chester Springs Soldiers' Orphan School for children of Civil War soldiers. From 1916 to 1952, the village served as the Pennsylvania Academy of the Fine Arts Country School. From 1952 until 1974 the village was the headquarters of Good News Productions [later known as Valley Forge Films], a film studio in Yellow Springs that created over 400 films including the sci-fi original The Blob [(1958)]. From 1974 on, Historic Yellow Springs, Inc. has preserved many of these original structures and educates visitors about [the site's] unique past."
The Chester Springs Studio is an arts center founded in 1978 as an offshoot of Historic Yellow Springs. The Studio developed a nationally-known reputation in visual arts, particularly in painting and ceramics. The Studio formally became part of Historic Yellow Springs in 2007 through an institutional merger.
Quoted text from: Historic Yellow Springs. "Mission and History." Accessed October 24, 2013. http://www.yellowsprings.org/about/mission.html.
This collection consists of various materials that document several organizations in Chester Springs, Pennsylvania that occupied what is today known as Historic Yellow Springs. It is arranged into Record Groups based on eras in the property's history: (Note that the dates indicate the time period of each era, not the date span of the materials included in the record group) "RG 1: Revolutionary War and before (1722-1781)"; "RG 2: Spa Periods (1781-1860); "RG 3: Civil War and PA Soldiers' Orphans School (1868-1917)"; "RG 4: Pennsylvania Academy of the Fine Arts Country School (1916-1952)"; "RG 5: Good News Productions, Inc. (1952-1974)"; "RG 6: Historic Yellow Springs, Inc. (1974-2013)"; "RG 7: Chester Springs Studio"; "RG 8: Native American Habitation." Box and item lists for many of the record groups are available on site.
RG 1: Revolutionary War and before consists entirely of secondary-source materials, principally photocopies of academic articles, copies of primary documents, printed materials, and some research notes that largely document Historic Yellow Springs use as a Continental Army hospital. The record group encompasses about six boxes.
RG 2: Spa Periods is mostly secondary-source materials, such as academic articles, copies of primary documents, printed materials, research notes, and genealogy research. It also features some original primary-source documents, such as photographs and deeds and includes some Jenny Lind sheet music. There are around four boxes in this record group.
RG 3: Civil War and PA Soldiers' Orphans School is made up of a mix of secondary- and a good amount of primary-source materials that primarily document the history of the Chester Springs Soldiers' Orphans School and Literary Institute. It includes many original photographs, a daybook and ledger for Holman's Store, and other documents. Most annual reports of the Pennsylvania Orphans' Schools can be found in this record group, which also includes information on other similar orphans' schools in Pennsylvania. The record group also contains research-related correspondence and correspondence about class reunions, mostly in the 1970s. Film negatives, tintypes, and floppy disks can be found in this record group. Of special interest are photocopies of letters from A. P. Meylers, surgeon in 15th Regiment, Pennsylvania Volunteer Militia, 1861 May to July (originals held privately). Approximately 11 boxes are in this record group.
RG 4: Pennsylvania Academy of the Fine Arts Country School, is mostly original records such as correspondence, financial records, student records, materials relating to the physical plant and student supplies, and class catalogs. There are a large number of negatives and photographs, including some depicting student work. It encompasses about 31 boxes.
RG 5: Good News Productions, Inc. consists of original records from the film production company that occupied Yellow Springs. It is principally made up of photographs, photograph albums, and negatives about Good News Productions' films; there are also some scrapbooks about Good News Productions, Yellow Springs, and PAFA. A small amount of correspondence and production-related documents are also included in this record group. It totals around 45 boxes.
RG 6: Historic Yellow Springs, Inc. is the largest record group in this collection, with original institutional records from Historic Yellow Springs filling over 75 boxes. Materials date mostly from 1974 to 2013, although there are some documents dating back to 1965; they include minutes, correspondence, programs, presentations, financial records, member lists, fundraising materials and grant applications, and legal documents. A large number of slides, negatives, and photographs can be found in this collection.
RG 7: Chester Springs Studio consists of original records from the arts center at Historic Yellow Springs. The bulk of the records in this record group date from 1987 to 2003, and include board minutes, tax information, financial statements, contributions and membership information, photographs, marketing and advertising, exhibition files, and other records from the organization. There are a large quantity of artists files, which include resumes, applications, and photographs/slides of artist's work.
RG 8: Native American Habitation is the smallest record group in this collection, and includes only secondary-source materials, such as academic articles, narrative histories, and research about Native Americans in the area.
Summary descriptive information on this collection was compiled in 2012-2014 as part of a project conducted by the Historical Society of Pennsylvania to make better known and more accessible the largely hidden collections of small, primarily volunteer run repositories in the Philadelphia area. The Hidden Collections Initiative for Pennsylvania Small Archival Repositories (HCI-PSAR) was funded by a grant from The Andrew W. Mellon Foundation.
This is a preliminary finding aid. No physical processing, rehousing, reorganizing, or folder listing was accomplished during the HCI-PSAR project.
In some cases, more detailed inventories or finding aids may be available on-site at the repository where this collection is held; please contact Moore Archives at Historic Yellow Springs directly for more information.
- Chester Springs Studio
- Historic Yellow Springs (Organization)
- Pennsylvania Academy of the Fine Arts. Country School
- Pennsylvania Academy of the Fine Arts
- Valley Forge Films
- Moore Archives at Historic Yellow Springs
- Finding Aid Author
- Finding aid prepared by Celia Caust-Ellenbogen and Faith Charlton through the Historical Society of Pennsylvania's Hidden Collections Initiative for Pennsylvania Small Archival Repositories
- This preliminary finding aid was created as part of the Historical Society of Pennsylvania's Hidden Collections Initiative for Pennsylvania Small Archival Repositories. The HCI-PSAR project was made possible by a grant from The Andrew W. Mellon Foundation.
- Access Restrictions
Contact Moore Archives at Historic Yellow Springs for information about accessing this collection.