Held at: Historical Society of the Phoenixville Area [Contact Us]204 Church St., Phoenixville, Pennsylvania, 19460
This is a finding aid. It is a description of archival material held at the Historical Society of the Phoenixville Area. Unless otherwise noted, the materials described below are physically available in their reading room, and not digitally available through the web.
Overview and metadata sections
Phoenixville in Chester County, Pennsylvania evolved from an early 18th century village called Manavon. Long the home of the Lenni Lenape Indians, who farmed, hunted, and fished in the Schuylkill River, the area was first settled by Europeans in 1713. The history of the town largely mirrored the history of the Phoenix Iron Company (founded in 1813) which became hugely successful in the mid-19th century with the advent of the railroad. Phoenixville was incorporated as a borough in 1849.
The Phoenixville Area School District is located in northern Chester County, several miles west of Valley Forge Park. The district covers three municipalities: Phoenixville Borough, Schuylkill Township, and East Pikeland Township.
Historical Society of the Phoenixville Area. "A Brief History of Phoenixville." Accessed October 3, 2013. http://www.phoenixvillehistoricalsociety.org/
This collection consists primarily of attendance registers for elementary schools in the Phoenixville Area School District, 1858-1900 and 1925-1957. Besides attendance lists, volumes include some statistical information as well as information about teachers. Also included in the collection are some superintendent yearly reports.
Gift of Phoenixville Area School District, 2011 (accession 2011.70).
Summary descriptive information on this collection was compiled in 2012-2014 as part of a project conducted by the Historical Society of Pennsylvania to make better known and more accessible the largely hidden collections of small, primarily volunteer run repositories in the Philadelphia area. The Hidden Collections Initiative for Pennsylvania Small Archival Repositories (HCI-PSAR) was funded by a grant from The Andrew W. Mellon Foundation.
This is a preliminary finding aid. No physical processing, rehousing, reorganizing, or folder listing was accomplished during the HCI-PSAR project.
In some cases, more detailed inventories or finding aids may be available on-site at the repository where this collection is held; please contact Historical Society of the Phoenixville Area directly for more information.
- Historical Society of the Phoenixville Area
- Finding Aid Author
- Finding aid prepared by Celia Caust-Ellenbogen and Faith Charlton through the Historical Society of Pennsylvania's Hidden Collections Initiative for Pennsylvania Small Archival Repositories
- This preliminary finding aid was created as part of the Historical Society of Pennsylvania's Hidden Collections Initiative for Pennsylvania Small Archival Repositories. The HCI-PSAR project was made possible by a grant from The Andrew W. Mellon Foundation.
- Access Restrictions
Contact Historical Society of the Phoenixville Area for information about accessing this collection.