Guernsey Hallowell photograph collection
Held at: Historical Society of Frankford [Contact Us]1507 Orthodox St., Philadelphia, PA, 19124
This is a finding aid. It is a description of archival material held at the Historical Society of Frankford. Unless otherwise noted, the materials described below are physically available in their reading room, and not digitally available through the web.
Overview and metadata sections
Guernsey Albert Hallowell (1867-1944) was a resident of the Frankford neighborhood of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. He married Anna Marion Shunk in 1890. Hallowell worked for many years as a conveyancer (a specialist in the buying and selling of real estate property). From 1924 to 1935 he had a partnership in law, real estate, and conveyance with Rodger Melling, Esquire. An active collector and writer on local history, Guernsey Hallowell became a director of the Historical Society of Frankford upon the society's founding in 1905 and was a signer of its articles of incorporation. Hallowell also wrote Frankford: Direction of a Greater Philadelphia with Thomas Creighton.
This collection consists of 260 late nineteenth- and early twentieth-century photographs, primarily of Frankford, Bridesburg, Holmesburg, and other Northeast Philadelphia area buildings, landscapes, and street scenes.
The photographs are numbered G-1 through G-260 and are indexed by subject or location in a card catalog. There is also one box of approximately 100 picture postcards, some of which have been numbered and described and are listed in an inventory sheet. Other items in the collection that are uncataloged include film negatives and carte des visites.
Summary descriptive information on this collection was compiled in 2014-2016 as part of a project conducted by the Historical Society of Pennsylvania to make better known and more accessible the largely hidden collections of small, primarily volunteer run repositories in the Philadelphia area. The Hidden Collections Initiative for Pennsylvania Small Archival Repositories (HCI-PSAR) was funded by a grant from The Andrew W. Mellon Foundation.
This is a preliminary finding aid. No physical processing, rehousing, reorganizing, or folder listing was accomplished during the HCI-PSAR project.
In some cases, more detailed inventories or finding aids may be available on-site at the repository where this collection is held; please contact Historical Society of Frankford directly for more information.
- Historical Society of Frankford
- Finding Aid Author
- Finding aid prepared by Sarah Leu and Anastasia Matijkiw through the Historical Society of Pennsylvania's Hidden Collections Initiative for Pennsylvania Small Archival Repositories
- This preliminary finding aid was created as part of the Historical Society of Pennsylvania's Hidden Collections Initiative for Pennsylvania Small Archival Repositories. The HCI-PSAR project was made possible by a grant from The Andrew W. Mellon Foundation.
- Access Restrictions
Contact Historical Society of Frankford for information about accessing this collection.